A partner at McLennan Ross, Alain practices in the area of corporate commercial securities law. He has extensive experience advising clients in various areas of business law, corporate law, securities law, taxation and estate planning including, corporate reorganizations, estate freezes, tax litigation and purchase/sale of shares and assets, with an emphasis in dealing with mining and natural resources.
A large portion of Alain's practice is spent on providing strategic advice to mining corporations interested in investing Nunavut and the Northwest Territories and Inuit organizations requiring expert advice in setting up appropriate corporate structures and in negotiating and implementing complex agreements to harness the full potential of their mineral and other natural resources.
Alain has been involved in the financing and the acquisitions of mineral properties in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut and has advised multinational mining corporations about the various aspects of the complex regulatory regimes of the mining industry in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut. To supplement his practice, Alain recently completed The Osgoode Certificate in Mining Law which provided him with the knowledge, strategies and tactics to advise on the critical business and legal issues in today's mining industry and better meet his client's needs.
Alain has also appeared before the Court of Queen's Bench, Court of Appeal, New Brunswick Labour and Employment Board and various administrative tribunals.
Professional Associations and Affiliations
· Treasurer, Executive of the Law Society of the Northwest Territories
· Member, Canadian Tax Foundation
· Member, Canadian Bar Association
· Member, Yellowknife Chamber of Commerce
· Member, NWT & Nunavut Chamber of Mines
Community and Volunteer Experience
· Director, Yellowknife Chamber of Commerce
· Ambassador, Come Make Your Mark Campaign
· Past Chair, Radio-Péninsule Inc.
· Past Treasurer and Board Member, L'Alliance des Radios Communautaires du Canada
Corporate Commercial Securities
· Represented a multinational mining conglomerate as Nunavut and Northwest Territories counsel in its acquisition by plan of arrangement of mining properties located in Nunavut and the Northwest Territories.
· Provided strategic advice on the regulatory process of mining and the acquisition and registration of mineral claims and leases and the transfer of land use licenses, water licenses and surfaces leases to a multinational mining company during its acquisition of mineral claims and leases in Nunavut from a junior mineral company.
· Assisted mining companies by providing securities opinions and title opinions on mining properties in the course of major financings and acquisitions of mining properties in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
· Advised a multinational mining conglomerate as counsel for the Northwest Territories in the course of a takeover bid of a public corporation incorporated in the Northwest Territories.
· Acted as Nunavut and Northwest Territories counsel for a Canadian mining corporation during its acquisition of distressed mineral assets located in Nunavut.
· Provided strategic legal advice to an aboriginal organization in negotiating, drafting and implementing mining agreements such as mineral exploration leases, surface lease and mineral production agreements.
· Represents mining corporations and Inuit organizations in negotiating, drafting and implementing joint ventures, partnerships and other corporate combinations involved in the mining and natural resources sectors.
· Advises small, medium and large size businesses in financings, purchase and sale of businesses, incorporations and tax implications of business transactions.
"Business Succession Planning", Yellowknife Financial Exposition