Practice/Industry Group Overview
Federal and state employment laws impose legal obligations and their attendant risks on every employer. The majority of Jackson Lewis attorneys devote their practice to defending management in employment-related lawsuits, the fastest growing area of civil litigation. We have defended more than 10,000 individual and class action employment cases in the past five years, including discrimination, sexual harassment, wage and hour violations, ERISA violations, wrongful discharge, defamation, breach of contract, intentional torts, emotional distress and other serious workplace issues in federal and state courts.
We are well-equipped to assist you with:
- Litigating in state and federal courts, including defamation claims, whistleblower claims, employee privacy issues, qui tam actions and wage and hour matters, including collective and class actions.
- Handling administrative charges before state and federal agencies.
- Protecting employers’ confidential and proprietary information, trade secrets and business relationships from misuse or interference.
- Maintaining actions on behalf of employers arising from fraud, theft and other related misconduct.
- Conducting independent investigations of allegations of inappropriate employee behavior running the gamut of workplace issues including discrimination, harassment and improper business practices (such as issues arising under the Sarbanes-Oxley Act).
Our employment litigators have developed the expertise to assess risk and evaluate settlement early in litigation. Our ability to dispose of cases efficiently before trial through aggressive motion practice, and during trial to present cases in a manner persuasive to judges and juries, has earned us a reputation as a leader in the field of employment litigation on behalf of management.