A highly experienced litigator, Jacqueline Becerra represents individuals and entities in a broad range of both complex civil and criminal matters. Jacqueline's practice includes commercial, securities, employment, patent and trademark litigation, as well as criminal matters, including internal corporate investigations and advising clients on the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA).
Jacqueline served as Special Counsel to the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Florida, as a Trial Attorney in the Civil Division, and as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the District of Columbia and the Southern District of Florida. As a Trial Attorney with the Department of Justice's Civil Division in Washington, D.C., Jacqueline handled complex civil matters including class action defense, constitutional claims, Title VII, Freedom of Information Act litigation and Right to Financial Privacy cases. As an Assistant U.S. Attorney, she was responsible for all aspects of federal prosecution including the oversight of undercover operations and confidential informants, and obtaining authorization for wire interceptions.
Jacqueline has handled more than 50 jury and non-jury trials and arbitrations.
Areas of Concentration
· Complex commercial litigation
· Internal corporate investigations
· Securities litigation and arbitration
· Class action defense
· Jury and non-jury trials
Professional & Community Involvement
· Board Member, Miami-Dade County School Board, Ethics Advisory Council
· Managing Director, American Bar Association, Litigation Section
· Member and Former President, Federal Bar Association, South Florida Chapter
· Member, Cuban American Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation; Litigation - Intellectual Property; Litigation - Securities, 2010-2014
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Florida Super Lawyers, 2013
· Listed, Chambers USA Guide, National - Litigation, 2005-2013
· Listed, Florida Trend magazine "Legal Elite," Litigation, 2009-2010
· Recipient, "Director's Award," for Superior Performance, Executive Office for the U.S. Attorneys, 2001
· Recipient, "Tim Evans Memorial Award," for Outstanding Performance as an Assistant U.S. Attorney, 2001
· Recipient, "Young Federal Lawyers" Award, Federal Bar Association, 2000
· Led team conducting an internal investigation in Mexico of a multinational company with various FCPA, accounting and internal compliance deficiencies.
· Represented multinational election service provider in FCPA investigation before the U.S. Department of Justice.
· Acted as trial counsel in defense of Spanish media company against claims by a competitor in the Spanish-language radio business, resulting in a settlement during trial.
· Represented international financial services company in more than 20 securities arbitrations alleging conflict of interest between research and investment banking.
· Represented national insurance provider in a multimillion-dollar fraud claim against an insured.
· Represented companies and conducted internal investigations concerning FCPA compliance as well as general corporate fraud investigations.
· Represented a U.S. citizen wrongfully convicted of a murder in Nicaragua.
· Assistant U.S. Attorney, District of Columbia
· Assistant U.S. Attorney, Southern District of Florida
· Special Counsel to the U.S. Attorney, Southern District of Florida
· Trial Attorney, U.S. Justice Department, Federal Programs Civil Division