Jake is an Associate in the Corporate & Securities Section and a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP). Jake advises clients on privacy and data security matters, including compliance with privacy and information security laws with a special focus on compliance with California State law, as well as website and online services design and review, data security breach compliance and incident response, data breach incident response planning and risk assessments.
In addition, Jake advises clients in a broad array of industries and in business and technology related transactions, ranging from routine business needs for material transfer, consulting and services agreements, to international and complex transactions involving outsourcing of major business functions, complex patent licenses and assignments, development and collaboration agreements, strategic alliances and joint ventures, and other commercial transaction involving intellectual property and technology.
Jake represents clients at all stages of the corporate lifecycle on a variety of issues from initial formation and corporate governance, to angel and venture capital financing, mergers and acquisitions and state and federal securities filings.
Before joining Mintz Levin, Jake served as a judicial extern for the Honorable William McCurine Jr. of the US District Court, Southern District of California, where he drafted reports and recommendations on habeas corpus petitions and Social Security appeals.
Prior to that, he worked at the University of San Diego's Entrepreneurship Clinic as a student attorney, interviewing, screening, and assessing issues of potential clients, and researching issues regarding choice of business entity, trademark, and contract waivers for small business owners who were unable to afford legal fees. While in law school, he was the recipient of the Dean's Outstanding Scholar Award.
Jake is a member of the board of directors of the San Diego La Raza Lawyers Association Scholarship Fund. The SDLRA Scholarship Fund is a San Diego-based not-for-profit organization dedicated to promoting community service and providing financial assistance to law students who have contributed to the Latino community.
• Mintz Levin Attorney Jake Romero Receives Prestigious Information Privacy Professional Certification, (12.04.2013)
• Quoted inCalif. Initiative Could Unleash Wave of Privacy Fights,Law360 (09.27.2013)
• Mintz Levin Represented Sellers in Two of the Top Ten Asset Manager Deals in 2010, (05.05.2011)
• Mintz Levin Represents Altegris in Acquisition by Genworth Financial, Inc., (10.20.2010)
• Mintz Levin Represents SG Biofuels in $9.4 Million Series A Financing, (10.14.2010)
Co-author,Making Privacy Practices Public: the California Attorney General's New Guidelines Keep the Focus on the Consumer's Perspective and New Disclosure Requirements,Privacy & Security Alert (06.05.2014)
• Author,Lessons from Facebook's Acquisition of WhatsApp and Moves,Law360 (05.30.2014)
• Co-author,Stop Phoning It in on Mobile Security: What Your Business Needs to Know About the FTC's Settlements with Fandango and Credit Karma,Privacy & Security Alert (04.03.2014)
• Author,AB 1149: Expanding State Data Breach Notification Rules,Daily Journal (01.21.2014)
• Co-author,Collection of Email Addresses in Credit Card Transactions May Be Prohibited by California Law,Joint Alert: Privacy & Security Retail & Consumer Products (12.10.2013)
• Co-author,Golden State Privacy Warriors: California Has Just Passed a Number of Data Privacy Laws; Here Are Your Next Steps,Privacy & Security Alert (10.08.2013)
• Co-author,Delta Finds Reprieve in State Court, but Not Everyone Will Get to Fly the Friendly Skies,Privacy & Security Alert (06.03.2013)
• Co-author,FTC Guidelines for Mobile Applications: New Standards for Transparency and Notification Dictate Responsibilities for All Parties Involved,Privacy Alert (02.28.2013)
• Co-author,Privacy-on-the-Go: California Attorney General and Major Mobile Application Platforms Agree to Privacy Principles for Mobile Applications,Emerging Companies & Privacy Alert (03.12.2012)
• Co-author,What You Need to Get Done Now If You Want to Sell Your Company in 2012,Mergers & Acquisitions Alert (02.22.2012)
• Co-author,Using Finders to Assist in Financings: Understanding the Risks Associated with Unregistered Broker-Dealers,Practical Law Company (12.01.2011)
• Co-author,Using Finders to Assist in Financings Can Impose Significant Risks,Insights: The Corporate & Securities Law Advisor (06.01.2011)
• Co-author,Using Finders to Assist in Financings Can Impose Significant Risks,Insights: The Corporate & Securities Law Advisor (06.2011)
• Co-author,Using Finders to Assist in Financings Can Impose Significant Risks on Your Company,Securities Alert (04.29.2011)
Speaker,The New Public Offering to Accredited Investors, Mintz Levin, San Diego, CA (11.13.2013)
• Speaker,The Era of Big Data - Governance, Risk and Compliance Issues, Association of Corporate Counsel, San Diego, CA (10.18.2012)