- Business Disputes
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Chemistry, Biotechnology & Pharmaceutical
|University ||Dartmouth College, B.A., 1968|
|Law School||Vanderbilt University Law School, J.D., 1975|
|Admitted||1976, New York; 1978, North Carolina; Supreme Court of the United States; United States Courts of Appeals for the Second and Fourth Circuits; United States District Courts for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of North Carolina; United States District Courts for the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York|
James C. Smith is a veteran trial lawyer who assists clients with virtually all aspects of commercial litigation and arbitration.
Mr. Smith is skilled in a wide range of matters, including:
· Contract disputes
· Business torts
· Corporate litigation
· Shareholder disputes
· Construction litigation
· Commercial arbitration
· Securities litigation
· Insurance coverage litigation
· Bankruptcy litigation
Mr. Smith has significant first-chair trial experience, working in both state and federal courts, and has conducted arbitrations related to a wide range of issues.
Mr. Smith is also an experienced commercial arbitrator, having served on the American Arbitration Association Panel of Neutrals for the past ten years. He has represented clients in numerous domestic and international arbitration matters. Mr. Smith is also a certified mediator.
Mr. Smith is a leader in the legal community, currently serving as chairman of Litigation Section of the Mecklenburg County Bar Association. He is past president of the William H. Bobbitt Chapter of the American Inns of Court.
Mr. Smith earned his undergraduate degree from Dartmouth College in Hanover, NH and law degree from the Vanderbilt University Law School in Nashville, TN.
· Listed in Best Lawyers in America® since 2005 (Commercial Litigation, Litigation - Construction, Litigation - Mergers & Acquisitions, Litigation - Securities)
· American Inns of Court, William H. Bobbitt Chapter - Past President
77 Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Named to the 2014 Edition of Best Lawyers in America®
Nexsen Pruet is pleased to announce that 77 attorneys have been named to Best Lawyers in America for 2014.
Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Recognized by N.C. Peers; 14 Named to 2013 Super Lawyers® Lists
Fourteen Nexsen Pruet attorneys have been named "Super Lawyers" in North Carolina.
Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Named to the 2013 Edition of Best Lawyers in America®
Nexsen Pruet attorneys have been named to the Best Lawyers in America® list for 2013.
"Federal judge sets Aug. 30 deadline for Ghazi in EpiCentre bankruptcy settlement dispute"
Nexsen Pruet attorney James Smith is representing one of the former partners of the Uptown Charlotte project.
Nexsen Pruet Expands Litigation & Financial Services Practices; James C. Smith & Keith Mrochek Join Charlotte Office
Nexsen Pruet is pleased to announce the expansion of its Charlotte office with the addition of two veteran attorneys. James C. Smith has joined the firm's Business Litigation Group while Keith Mrochek has joined the Financial Services Group.
Civic & Professional Memberships
· American Bar Association: Forum Committee on the Construction of Industry; Section of Dispute Resolution; Section of International Law; Disputes Division - International Commercial Dispute Resolution & Committee International Litigation
· American Arbitrators Association - Member, AAA Commercial Arbitration Panel of Neutral Arbitrators
· North Carolina Bar Association: Section of Dispute Resolution, Section of Litigation
· Mecklenburg County Bar Association: Litigation Section - Chairman; Fee Dispute Resolution Section, Member
· Certified Mediator - North Carolina
View Ratings & Reviews
|Profile Visibility |
|#212 in weekly profile views out of 6,491 lawyers in Charlotte, North Carolina|
|#34,065 in weekly profile views out of 1,616,736 total lawyers Overall|