James D. Cottrell has been practicing law in Urbana, IL for more than 25 years. His broad-spectrum practice covers many areas of law, including business and corporate law, estate planning and tax law, environmental and water rights law, municipal law, real estate law and civil litigation. He is active in both the Illinois State Bar Association and the Champaign County Bar Association.
Attorney Cottrell demonstrates deep commitment to the environment and is well versed in agriculture and land use law. He has served on the Task Force of the Illinois Farm Bureau, as well as its Ad Hoc Committee for Law Reform and the Legislative Committee. He has published many articles dealing with land use and environmental law issues.
James Cottrell handles personal injury and workers compensation cases on contingency, meaning you pay no attorney’s fees unless he recovers for you.
- American Bar Association
- Illinois Bar Association
- Champaign County Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
-- Council Member, Agricultural Law, 1998—1999
-- Council Member, Local Government Law, 1994—1995
- Illinois Farm Bureau
-- Task Force, 1997—1998
-- Ad Hoc Committee, 1993—1996
-- Legislative Committee, 1992—1994
- BV® Distinguished™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Leading Lawyers
- The Clean Water Act and the Tullock Rule. Illinois State Bar Association, Agricultural Law, April 1999
- A Survey of Federal Conservation Programs. Illinois State Bar Association, Agricultural Law, November 1999
- Protection of USDA Benefits. Illinois State Bar Association, Agricultural Law. November 1999
- “Merchandising Claimants Entitled to 85% of Claim upon Liquidation of Elevator Assets,” ISBA, Agricultural Law. August 2000
- Environmental Law chapter, IICLE Publication, Illinois Law and Agribusiness 2001, Supplement 2005
- Drainage and Water Rights chapter, IICLE Publication, Illinois Law and Agribusiness 2001, Supplement 2005
- Drainage and Riparian Rights chapter, IICLE Publication, Causes of Action: Estates, Business and Non-Personal Injury Actions 2002, Supplement 2005