James H. Steigerwald is a partner in the firm's Commercial, Securities, and Antitrust Litigation Group and serves as the firm's Hiring Partner. Mr. Steigerwald is an active trial lawyer who has tried cases before federal and state courts across the country, obtaining multimillion-dollar verdicts as well as defense verdicts. Mr. Steigerwald has significant experience with high-profile cases involving contract, fraud, and fiduciary duty claims as well as actions alleging violations of the securities, antitrust and RICO laws. He was recognized as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer in the area of business litigation.
Admitted to practice in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, Mr. Steigerwald is a member of the American and Philadelphia Bar Associations. He is active in the community and regularly handles pro bono matters. In 2011, he was recognized by the Support Center for Child Advocates with its prestigious Distinguished Advocate Award for his pro bono representation of abused and neglected children. Mr. Steigerwald graduated with honors from Cornell Law School, where he was awarded the International Academy of Trial Lawyers Award for Trial Advocacy. Mr. Steigerwald also graduated with honors from Harvard College, where he was a member of the football team.
· Represented financial institution in defense of class action securities lawsuit arising from acquisition of local bank. Secured dismissal of all claims against client.
· Represent officers and directors in defense of securities lawsuit brought by Fortune 500 manufacturer.
· Defended publicly held company against $15 million claim based on a warrant to purchase stock. Obtained summary judgment, which was affirmed on appeal.
· Represented liquidation trustee of failed financial institution in claims alleging preferential transfers and breach of fiduciary duty. Entered settlement agreement receiving $80 million payment and rights to $275 million tax refund.
· Obtained jury verdict in favor of defendant hospital in antitrust action brought by surgeon against group of hospitals.
· Represented distributors in connection with antitrust class action and negotiated favorable settlement.
· Represented global software corporation in contract dispute. Obtained defense verdict after two week jury trial.
· Represented national manufacturer in contract dispute arising from termination of dealer. Obtained defense verdict at trial, which was affirmed on appeal.
· Obtained favorable jury verdicts in several trials involving interpretation of franchise agreements.
· Represented several defendants in commercial contract dispute related to the rights of certain software. Summary judgment was entered in favor of individual defendant, and remaining defendants settled on favorable terms.
· Represented venture capital firm in connection with license dispute for biotechnology. Obtained jury verdict awarding $3.5 million and attorney's fees before settling case.
· Served as lead trial counsel representing shareholder of closely held corporation against former officer, director and minority shareholder of the corporation. Obtained damages award of $4.99 million for breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract claims.
· Defended prominent real estate developer against claims brought by a disgruntled former partner. Secured dismissal of plaintiff's RICO claims, which was affirmed by the Third Circuit. Defeated motion for injunction brought in the Philadelphia Commerce Court, and then settled the case on favorable terms.
· Represented leading pharmaceutical packaging company in suit against former president and 49 percent shareholder asserting claims of fraud, breach of fiduciary duty and commercial bribery. Obtained settlement, under which the company bought out the shareholder at a deep discount.
· Represented start-up dialysis company against Fortune 500 competitor in defense of tortious interference and breach of contract claims. All claims were dismissed with prejudice as a sanction for plaintiff's repeated discovery violations.
· Represented national office supply company in several matters successfully enforcing non-competition agreements.
· Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2007-present
- Associate, 1998-2006
· American Bar Association
- Antitrust Law Section
-- Business Torts and Unfair Competition Committee
- Forum on Franchising
· Philadelphia Bar Association
- Business Litigation Committee
· Barrister, American Inns of Court, University of Pennsylvania Law School Chapter
Honors and Awards
· Recognized as a 2011 Distinguished Advocate for Children by the Philadelphia-based Support Center for Child Advocates
· Listed in Pennsylvania Rising Stars, 2006-2008 and 2010
· Named as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer, 2013
· Publications and Speaking Engagements
· Co-Author, "Recent Developments in Tortious Interference Law," American Bar Association Antitrust Law Section's Annual Meeting, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, August 4, 1998
· Co-Author, Scientific Evidence Review, "Expert Evidence in the Third Circuit," American Bar Association, Mongraph Nos. 4, 6, 8 (1999, 2003, 2008)
Selected Speaking Engagements
· Panelist, "The Dealer Network as a RICO Enterprise," Spring Meeting of the ABA Section of Antitrust Law, Washington, D.C., March 25, 2009
· Panelist, "Responding to an Antitrust Complaint: Developing Rule 12 Issues and Strategic Considerations," American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, Spring 2006