James focuses on patent law, including preparation and prosecution of patent applications, rendering of opinions on infringement and validity, licensing, due diligence investigations, and client counseling, with an emphasis on electrical, telecommunications, software, and mechanical technologies. James is also founder of the action sports and apparel practice at Mintz Levin, representing top clients in the surfing, skateboarding, kite surfing, and fitness industries.
Before joining the firm, James was a principal at an international intellectual property law firm located in San Diego. His Internet and software experience includes the areas of enterprise applications, business warehouse and database platforms, computer graphics and presentation software, communications protocols, and e-commerce applications. His electronics experience includes computer hardware, controls, and networking devices such as switches, routers, and repeaters. His telecommunications experience includes wireless communications, particularly base station and antenna design, digital signal processing, encryption, and encoding technologies. His mechanical technologies experience includes wave machines, skateboards, exercise and therapeutic equipment, medical devices, and mechanical assembly systems.
While serving in the Air Force, James was a senior test engineer and product team leader for the US Air Force Defense Dissemination Program (1991 - 1994), and a program manager and technical representative for Northrop Corporation, USAF Office (1989 - 1991).
Recognitions & Awards
•San Diego Daily Transcript: “Top Attorneys” (2006 - 2010)
•Southern California Super Lawyers: Intellectual Property (2014 -2015)
• Fourteen Mintz Levin Members Named 2015 Southern California Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (01.23.2015)
• Eleven Mintz Levin Members Named Southern California Super Lawyers, (01.17.2014)
•Featured in James Cleary: 'Leadership is About the Group', The Daily Transcript (03.07.2012)
• Four Mintz Levin Members Named to San Diego Daily Transcript's 2009 Top Attorneys List, (07.20.2009)
• Multiple Mintz Levin Attorneys Named to San Diego Daily Transcript's 2008 Top Attorneys List, (07.16.2008)
• Three Mintz Levin Attorneys Named Top Attorneys by San Diego Daily Transcript, (08.01.2007)
•Co-author, A Look at the Changing Landscape of Patent Prosecution, San Diego Business Journal (02.11.2008)
•Co-author, Intellectual Property Article: Expanding Preconceptions of Patentable Matter, BizSanDiego (04.30.2007)
Jim Cleary discusses the elements of a successful patent application.
• Panelist, Due Diligence, Power of Angel Investing Seminar, Tech Coast Angels, San Diego, CA (05.01.2014)
• Speaker, Corporate Formation and Building a Valuable IP Portfolio, Lester Center for Entrepreneurship at the University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, CA (10.22.2012) (Also at San Diego Office)