As the co-chair of the Firm's Private Equity & Venture Capital Group, Jim Barrett is a business and securities lawyer who represents life sciences and other technology companies as well as venture capital and private equity funds. He regularly counsels Boards of Directors and General Partners on corporate governance matters and guides their businesses through all stages of development. Accordingly, Jim concentrates in investment transactions, mergers and acquisitions, securities law and general corporate representation. Jim is listed in the Corporate Law Section of The Best Lawyers in America.
· Represented Ampersand Capital Partners in the sale of CoreLab Partners, Inc. and take-private of Bioclinica, Inc., both global clinical trial solutions businesses.
· Represented Stemline Therapeutics, Inc. in its initial public offering.
· Represented Modified Polymer Components, Inc. in its acquisition of Biomedical Structures, LLC.
· Represented Ampersand Capital Partners in the acquisition of clinical toxicology laboratories.
· Represented Sanofi-Genzyme BioVentures in its Series A financing of 4s3 Bioscience, Inc.
· Represented K-TEK Corp. in its sale to ABB, the global power and automation technology group.
· Represented Ampersand Capital Partners in its investments in Blue Sky Biotech, a contract research organization; Modified Polymer Components, a manufacturer of polymer components for medical device OEMs; and ATS Labs, an antimicrobial testing services business.
· Represented Magellan Biosciences in the sale of its microbiology testing products division, TREK Diagnostic Systems, to Thermo Fischer Scientific.
· Represented Ampersand Capital Partners in the take private of Rand Worldwide, Inc. and represented Rand Worldwide, Inc. in its subsequent alternative public offering ("APO") through a reverse merger.
· Represented IBT Laboratories in its merger with ViraCor Laboratories, forming ViraCor-IBT Laboratories, a leading specialty diagnostics testing lab.
· Represented a syndicate of investors, including MPM Capital and Oxford Bioscience Partners, in their investment in Radius Health.
· Represented Ampersand Capital Partners and SV Life Sciences in the acquisition of a controlling interest in CRI Worldwide, a leading provider of clinical research services to the pharmaceutical industry.
· Represented MPM Capital and New Enterprise Associates in their investment in Rhythm, a biotechnology company developing peptide therapeutics for metabolic diseases.
· Represented Ampersand Capital Partners in the leveraged buyout of K TEK Corp., a leading global manufacturer of state-of-the-art level instrumentation for liquid and bulk solids detection.
· Represented Protient, Inc. in its sale to a major multi-national corporation.
· Represented MPM Capital in the acquisition by Novartis AG of a majority stake in Idenix for $255 million, plus contingent payments, as well as in Idenix's IPO and follow-on offering.
· The APO of PharmAthene through its sale to Healthcare Acquisition Corp., in which we represented Bear Stearns Health Innoventures, HealthCare Ventures and MPM Capital as the major stockholders of PharmAthene. We had previously represented such investors in a $50 million financing of PharmAthene.
· The $350 million sale of TriPath Imaging (TPTH), an Ampersand Ventures portfolio company, to Becton, Dickinson and Company (BDX).
· The Series A Financing for Syndax Pharmaceuticals Inc., a company that is developing novel oncology products through mechanistically driven combination regimens, in which we represented MPM Capital and Pappas Ventures.
· The Series A Financing for Claros Diagnostics, a company that is developing a proprietary microfluidics device to improve diagnostics in prostate cancer and other urology disorders, in which we represented Oxford Bioscience Partners.
· The Series A financing for Cequent Pharmaceuticals, a company developing new clinically compatible therapies based on RNA interference, in which we represented Ampersand Ventures.
· The Series C Financing for Elixir Pharmaceuticals, a company developing therapeutics to treat age-related diseases, in which we represented MPM Capital.
· MPM Capital's investment in Xanodyne Pharmaceuticals, a pain and women's health company, and Xanodyne's simultaneous acquisition of assets from aaiPharma for $209 million.
· The acquisition of Trek Diagnostic Systems and simultaneous Series A Financing of Magellan Biosciences, a clinical diagnostics company whose lead investors are Ampersand Ventures and Abingworth Management.
· The sale by MPM Capital of its interest in Idea AG to Celtic Pharmaceutical Holdings L.P.
· Oxford Bioscience Partners' $20 million investment in and reorganization of Alantos Pharmaceuticals AG as a Delaware corporation.
· Represented Cerimon Pharmaceuticals in $70 million Series A Preferred Stock financing.
· Ampersand Capital Partners' and SV Life Sciences' investment in M2 Worldwide Corporation (Medifacts), a Maryland-based provider of cardiac monitoring and other clinical trial services.
· Represented Open Ratings, Inc., a venture-backed on-line supply chain management company, in its acquisition by Dun & Bradstreet, Inc.
· Ampersand Capital Partners' buyout of Princeton Radiology Pharmaceutical Research, a Princeton, New Jersey based provider of radiological services for use in clinical and other environments.
· Represented a syndicate of investors, including MPM Capital and Oxford Bioscience Partners, in its investment in Radius Health, Inc.
· Represented Transport Pharmaceuticals in its conversion to a corporation and $27 million initial round of financing.
· Represented Magellan Biosciences, a clinical diagnostics company, in its acquisition of TekCel, Inc.
Notable Corporate Counsel Experience
· Akili Interactive Labs, Inc.
· Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University
· Ampersand Capital Partners
· Boston Heart Diagnostics Corporation
· ChanTest Corporation
· CRI Worldwide, LLC
· Dynex Technologies, Inc.
· Enlight Biosciences, LLC
· Ensof Biosystems
· Entrega, Inc.
· EnVivo Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
· Gelesis, Inc.
· GnuBIO Inc.
· LabCentral Inc.
· Magellan Biosciences, Inc.
· Modified Polymer Components, Inc.
· Montefiore Medical Center
· MPM Capital
· PureTech Ventures
· Rand Worldwide, Inc.
· Solasia Pharma K.K.
· ViraCor-IBT Laboratories, Inc.
· VoteTru LLC