Jim Sharrock has broad experience in a diverse business practice, representing real estate developers and property managers, architects and engineers, professional employer organizations, restaurateurs, banks and institutional lenders, agri-business organizations, blood banks and healthcare organizations. He represents entrepreneurs, emerging companies and established organizations in a broad range of business matters, including acquisition, development, management and sale of real property and related financing transactions; contracting to provide architectural and engineering services; mergers and acquisitions; business contracts; commercial financing transactions; organization and restructuring of business entities and joint ventures; and other commercial transactions.
Prior to joining McAfee & Taft in 1985, Jim practiced law in Texas for 12 years, focusing on representation of a large independent commercial bank in commercial lending, commercial property owners in real estate development, and agribusinesses in commercial cattle feeding.
During a three-year period immediately prior to returning to Oklahoma, he served as partner and general counsel in a real estate development firm engaged in development of multi-family, resort, office, retail and residential condominium properties in Texas and Colorado.
Jim served in the U.S. Army Reserve as an artillery officer from 1970-1978.
A leader in the community, Jim is a past recipient of Leadership Oklahoma City's Paragon Award for exemplary service to the community and the Oklahoma Bar Association's 2009 Outstanding Service to the Public Award. In 2008, he was recognized for his professional and civic contributions to the state by being named to the Journal Record's list of Leadership in Law honorees.
· Representation of commercial real estate owners in the acquisition, development, financing, leasing, property management, and disposition of office buildings, shopping centers, resort condominiums, hotels, multi-family housing and undeveloped land.
· Representation of a major architectural and engineering firm in multiple military housing privatization transactions, in negotiation of professional service agreements and related design/build and construction agreements, providing for design and contract administration services for the construction and renovation of over 10,000 housing units located in 12 states at multiple U.S. Army, Navy, and Air Force facilities.
· Representation of property owners, construction contractors, and architects and engineers in design, design/build, construction and construction management contracts for construction and renovation of office buildings, single-family and multi-family housing, aircraft hangers, retail lumber yards, golf courses, generator facilities and tenant improvements.
· Representation of commercial real estate owners in arbitration of construction contract controversies.
· Representation of owners of multi-family housing properties in transactions involving HUD insured loans, including financing and refinancing, sale of interests in ownership entities, sale of properties, and mark-to-market re-financings approved by HUD's Office of Multifamily Housing Assistance Restructuring.
· Representation of developers, not-for-profit organizations and housing authorities in the development of multi-family retirement and single-family residential properties financed by proceeds of the Federal Home Loan Bank Affordable Housing Program, grants provided through HUD's HOME Investment Partnership Program, and affordable housing tax credits allocated by the Oklahoma Housing Finance Authority.
· Development and negotiation of a plan to permit a commercial property owner to sell a portion of a retail shopping center subject to a conduit loan prohibiting partial release of collateral.
· Representation of an independent professional employer organization (PEO) with over 10,000 employees in 47 states in connection with staffing agreements, mergers and acquisitions, corporate matters, dispute resolution and operations.
· Primary draftsman of the Oklahoma Professional Employer Organization Recognition and Registration Act.
· Representation of a corporation with multi-state operations in organization of a captive professional employer organization designed to minimize franchise tax liability in various states of operation.
· Representation of banks and institutional lenders in commercial real estate loan transactions.
Professional Organizations and Memberships
· Oklahoma County Bar Association
· Oklahoma Bar Association
· State Bar of Texas
· Commercial Real Estate Council
Civic Involvement and Leadership
· Rotary Club of Oklahoma City (Past President)
· Leadership Oklahoma City (Director and Former President)
· Rotary Club 29 Foundation (Director and Former President)
· Youth Leadership Exchange (Former Chairman of the Board)
· Rebuilding Together, formerly Christmas in April (Founding President)
· Edmond Public Schools Foundation (Former President)