JASON C. TOMASULO is Senior Counsel in the Construction Group of Cohen Seglias Pallas Greenhall & Furman PC. He focuses his practice on construction law and government contracts. Jason represents owners, general contractors, subcontractors, suppliers and sureties. His experience includes all aspects of the construction process, from contract analysis and negotiation to project counseling to dispute resolution.
Jason has worked on numerous construction projects including federal government buildings, commercial/residential mixed use facilities, casino construction and expansion, school construction, renovation and expansion, improvements to commercial buildings, as well as various infrastructure projects including wastewater treatment facilities, power plants, a complex military chemical processing facility, an earthen dam, steel bridge construction, a commercial semiconductor manufacturing facility, a nuclear waste processing facility, and pipeline construction.
Prior to joining Cohen Seglias, Jason served as General Counsel for Keating Building Corporation, an ENR Top 400 general building contractor in the Mid-Atlantic region, where he negotiated contracts with owners and subcontractors, provided legal and risk management advice regarding project issues and managed litigation. Significantly, when the owner of a $300 million project could not obtain financing to complete the construction of the project, he helped protect Keating's rights and interests by negotiating revisions to the loan documents of the new ownership group and the other agreements necessary to restart construction.
Before joining Keating Building Corporation, Jason was an attorney with a nationally recognized construction law practice. During law school, he interned with the Department of Justice, Civil Division, Commercial Litigation branch and worked in GW's Small Business clinic. After graduation from law school, he served as the law clerk for the Honorable E. Allen Shepherd on the Circuit Court for Prince George's County, Maryland.
Jason writes and lectures on various construction law issues.
· American Bar Association (ABA) - Member; Forum on the Construction Industry
· Maryland State Bar Association (MSBA)
· Virginia State Bar Association (VSB) - Member; Construction Law and Public Contracts Section
· Associated Builders and Contractors Baltimore Metro Chapter (ABC)
· Building Congress & Exchange (BC&E)
· Jason has experience with construction disputes in federal and state courts and before the General Services Board of Contract Appeals, involving a variety of legal issues including contract formation and quantum merit recovery; CPM scheduling; delays, disruptions and changes due to defective specifications and design; acceleration claims; differing site conditions; mechanics' liens; default terminations; and surety disputes including payment and performance bonds.
· Jason's experience also includes pursuit and defense of bid protests, as well as research involving various public procurement matters.
(Also at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Office)