Jeffrey S. Tibbals concentrates his practice in the area of real estate litigation, and has handled cases involving:
· Commercial and development real estate loan disputes, on behalf of both financial institutions and developers, including foreclosures, workouts, deeds in lieu of foreclosure, and complex forbearance agreements
· Contract disputes regarding the sale and purchase of real property, including claims of fraud and negligent misrepresentation, and specific performance
· Disputes regarding the interpretation and effect of restrictive covenants
· Disputes regarding the existence and validity of easements
· Adverse possession of real property
· Eminent domain
· Disputes relating to the creation and ownership of condominiums
· Disputes among business partners, including shareholders of corporations and members of limited liability companies
· Commercial lease disputes
· Land use, planning and zoning issues
· Property damage and nuisances
· Boundary disputes
In addition to real property litigation, Mr. Tibbals also has significant experience in class action litigation and other complex tort and contract litigation. Mr. Tibbals also counsels community associations.
Mr. Tibbals received his B.A. in English Literature from Washington and Lee University and his J.D., cum laude, from Tulane University. Upon graduation from law school, Mr. Tibbals joined the Washington, D.C. office of a national general practice law firm before moving to Charleston in 2003.
· "Analysis & Perspective, New Initiatives to Encourage Disclosure of Environmental Costs and Liabilities," (34 Env't Reporter 217, 01/24/03) Co-Author, BNA, 2003
· Martindale Hubbell, AV Preeminent, Peer Review Rated
· The Charleston Regional Business Journal's Forty Under 40 List (2009)
· Leadership Charleston (2006-2007)
· Extern, Honorable Ivan L.R. Lemelle, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana (1998)
· Listed in South Carolina Super Lawyers "Rising Star" in Business Litigation (2013)
Jeff Tibbals Appointed Co-Chair of the ABA's Real Estate Litigation & Condemnation Committee
Attorney Jeff Tibbals has been appointed to co-chair the American Bar Association's Real Estate Litigation & Condemnation Committee for 2013-2104.
"Mayor Riley wants Charleston City Council to OK $250,000 contribution toward purchase of 17 acres next to Angel Oak Park"
Charleston's The Post and Courier called on Nexsen Pruet attorney Jeff Tibbals for a July 17 article about Angel Oak Park.
Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Recognized By Peers; Twenty-Eight Named to 2013 Super Lawyers® List for South Carolina
Nexsen Pruet is pleased to announce the attorneys who have been listed in the 2013 edition of South Carolina Super Lawyers®.
"Realty Income to Acquire American Realty Capital Trust in $2.95 Billion Transaction"
Nexsen Pruet is proud to have assisted in a $2.95 billion dollar transaction for Realty Income.
Attorneys Recognized By Peers; Twenty-Four Named to 2012 Super Lawyers® List for South Carolina
Nexsen Pruet is pleased to announce that twenty-four attorneys have been listed in the 2012 edition of South Carolina Super Lawyers®.
Island Packet article about Old Carolina golf course
The June 15th edition of the Hilton Head Island Packet featured an article about Nexsen Pruet client Old Carolina.
Jeff Tibbals named as a "Forty Under 40" winner for 2009
The Charleston Regional Business Journal has named Nexsen Pruet attorney Jeff Tibbals as a "Forty Under 40" winner for 2009.
Nexsen Pruet Creates Distressed Property and Workout Practice Group
The new group will provide clients with resources, skills and experience to help navigate issues that emerge during periods of economic and financial uncertainty.
Nexsen Pruet Elects Nine New Members
Nexsen Pruet announced that J. David Black, Amy Harmon Geddes, Stephen P. Groves, Sr., Gregory T. Higgins, Joseph M. Kahn, Christopher A. Ogiba, Brian T. Price, J. Frederick Reames, III, and Jeffrey S. Tibbals have been elected Members (partners) of the firm.
Jeff Tibbals Selected for 2006-7 Class of Leadership Charleston
Jeffrey S. Tibbals, an attorney in Nexsen Pruet's Charleston office, has been selected for the 2006-2007 class of Leadership Charleston.
Nexsen Pruet Further Expands Charleston Office; Adding Two New Attorneys
Nexsen Pruet, LLC has expanded its Charleston office for the second time in less than a month with the announcement that Jeffrey S. Tibbals and Jason C. Lynch have joined the firm as Associates.
· "Landlord-Tenant Mediation/Dispute Resolution", Lecturer, Landlord-Tenant Law, Sterling Education Services, Inc. (2011)
· "Eviction and the Judicial Process" and "Ethical Considerations in Landlord-Tenant Law", Commercial Landlord-Tenant Law CLE Seminar, Columbia, Lecturer, Sterling Education Services (2009)
· "Eviction and the Judicial Process", Lecturer, Commercial Landlord Tenant Law, Sterling Education Services, Inc. (2010)
Civic & Professional Memberships
· American Bar Association
· ABA Section of Litigation, Real Estate Litigation Committee, Title Insurance Subcommittee, Co-Chair (2011)
· District of Columbia Bar
· Maryland State Bar Association
· South Carolina Bar
· South Carolina Bar Practice and Procedure Committee, Member (2008)
· Virginia State Bar
· Virginia State Bar, 18th Circuit Representative for Young Lawyers Conference (2003)
· Charleston County Business License/User Fee Appeals Board, Appointed Member (2011)
· Nexsen Pruet, LLC Pro Bono Committee, Chair (2009)
· Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, Leukemia Ball, Executive Committee (2005)