Jeff is the head of the Real Estate and Communications practices in New York. A general commercial real estate attorney for almost 30 years, his clients include large national companies, particularly in the high-tech, telecommunications, financial services, health care, supermarket, and oil and gas sectors as well as numerous smaller local clients.
His real estate practice is both national and local and includes representation of landlords and tenants in all types of leases; counseling owners and developers in the acquisition, sale, development, and renovation of property; advising lenders and borrowers in commercial loans; and the representation of all parties in real estate litigation.
During the past 20 years, he has developed a unique specialty practice in the intersection of real estate with technology, communications, and energy issues. He has extensive experience representing landlords, tenants, and communications service providers in the leasing, purchase, sale, and financing of data centers and switch facilities, collocation facilities, radio and television broadcast antennas, distributed and in-building antenna systems, rooftop antennas, and fiber-optic transactions as well as the wiring of buildings for broadband communications access. Jeff has also negotiated thousands of rooftop and cellular antenna leases, inside wiring agreements, antenna tower leases, and switch facility leases throughout the country - covering over 500 million square feet.
He has also devoted a considerable portion of his practice to power and energy issues related to real estate and other technology matters, including large solar and wind installations and bulk power purchases.
A frequent speaker on real estate topics, Jeff also writes a monthly column called Leasing on the Level, covering leasing topics in Real Estate Weekly. He is a member of the board of advisors and regular contributor to Commercial Lease Law Insider, Commercial Tenant's Lease Insider, and Communications Environmental and Land Use Law Report. In addition, he frequently contributes to Mortgage and Real Estate Executives Report and is regularly quoted in the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, Commercial Property News, Real Estate Weekly, and other publications.
In the past, he has served in numerous governmental positions, including as assistant to the First Deputy Mayor of the City of New York and assistant to the Deputy Borough President of the Borough of Manhattan. From 1981 to 1982, he served as a law clerk to the Honorable Charles L. Brieant, US District Judge, and later Chief Judge, for the Southern District of New York.
Jeff is also an emergency medical technician on his local volunteer ambulance and coordinator of his local chapter.
Recognitions & Awards
•Chambers USA: New York - Real Estate (2011 - 2015)
•New York Super Lawyers: Real Estate (2006 - 2014)
•Best Lawyers in America: Real Estate Law (2013 - 2016)
•Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
•Author, Complex Legal and Business Issues Shape Data-Center Leases, NJBiz (2012)
•Author, Leasing Agreements Span a Wide Range of Deals, NJBiz (2012)
•Co-author, The Effect of Telecommunications Laws and Regulations on Real Property Interests, Powell on Real Property (2012)
•Author, Telecommunications Leases and License Agreements, Commercial Leasing (2010)
•Chair, The Provider Forum on Financing & Investing in Data Centers & Cloud Services Infrastructure, Information Management Network (IMN), New York, NY (05.28.2015)
•Panelist, State of the Market: Comparing & Contrasting Success Stories of 2014 and Embracing New Challenges, Including: Customization, IoE, Industry Consolidation and Security, The Fourth Annual Greater New York Data Center Summit, Covene, New York, NY (04.14.2015)
•Panelist, Single Site Acquisition Strategy & Financing Options in an Environment of Increased Cloud Computing, The 5th Annual Forum on Financing, Investing & Real Estate Development for Data Centers, Half Moon Bay, California (11.12.2014)
•Panelist, Deal Makers Roundtable, National Bisnow's Data Center Investment Conference & Expo (DICE 2014), Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, Arlington, VA (06.27.2014)
•Chair, The 4th Annual Spring Forum on Financing, Investing & Real Estate Development for Data Centers, Information Management Network (IMN), New York, NY (05.29.2014)
•Moderator, Tri-State Data Center Outlook, Bisnow, Newark, NJ (10.30.2013)
•Panelist, Redundancy 2014: Looking at the Cloud, Multiple Site Strategies, Software vs. Hardware, Downtime vs. Redundancy Cost and Splitting Critical vs. Non-Critical Applications, 4th Annual Financing, Investing & Real Estate Development for Data Centers Forum, Information Management Network (IMN), San Jose, CA (10.28.2013)
•Speaker, Second Annual Data Center Investment Conference & Expo, Bisnow Media, Washington, DC (06.19.2013)
•Speaker, No Excuse for Downtime: Evaluating Availability; Differentiating your Data Center, Lease & Winning Deals, The 3rd Annual Spring Forum on Financing, Investing & Real Estate Development for Data Centers, Information Management Network, New York, NY (05.30.2013)
•Panelist, Data Center Disaster Recovery: Exploring the Impact of a Superstorm on the Region's Real Estate & Technology Infrastructure, Second Annual Greater New York Data Center Summit, CapRate Events, New York, NY (02.27.2013)
•Speaker, No Excuse for Down Time: How to Handle a Data Center Failure & Differentiating Your Data Center, Lease Negotiation & Winning Deals, The 3rd Annual Forum on Financing, Investing & Real Estate Development for Data Centers, Information Management Network, Santa Clara, CA (11.29.2012)
•Panelist, Evaluation & Standardizing Data Center Standards & Performance (topic 1) Assessing Local Demand Drivers, Supply & Build Metrics (topic 2), Spring Forum on Financing, Investing & Real Estate Development for Data Centers, IMN, New York, NY (05.23.2012)
•Speaker, The Basics of Solar Rooftop Leases: Top Lease Issues for Property Owners, Mintz Levin and ML Strategies, Webinar (04.24.2012)
•Panelist, Alternative Fuels and Mobile Power: Turning the Vision into Reality, Eilat-Eilot Renewable Energy Conference, Eilat, Israel (02.21.2011)
•Speaker, Technology, Telecomm, and Managed Services: What Sells the Data Center Customer?, Forum on Financing, Investing, and Real Estate Development for Data Centers, Information Managment Network, Los Angeles, CA (11.08.2010)
•Speaker, Welcoming Remarks, Israel in 2028 - Roadmap for a Thriving Economy, Israel Venture Network, U.S. Israel Science and Technology Foundation, New York, NY (08.31.2010)
• Seventy-One Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2016 Edition, (08.17.2015)
• Mintz Levin's Jeffrey A. Moerdler Receives Prestigious NYSBA's Root/Stimson Award, (06.22.2015)
• Fifty-Two Mintz Levin Attorneys Featured in Chambers USA 2015 Guide, (05.19.2015)
• Twenty-Four Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2014 New York Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (10.03.2014)
• Sixty-Two Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2015 Edition, (08.18.2014)
• Fifty-One Mintz Levin Attorneys Featured in Chambers USA 2014 Guide, (05.23.2014)
•Featured in Port Authority Exec on Bridgegate, Spitzer, Crain's New York Business (03.06.2014)
• Mintz Levin Attorney Jeffrey A. Moerdler Honored by Riverdale Jewish Community Relations Council for Community Service, (10.15.2013)
• Eighteen Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2013 New York Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (09.16.2013)
•Quoted in Telecom Infrastructure Is Becoming the Fourth Utility for CRE Mart, Real Estate Financing & Investment (09.09.2013)
• Sixty-Three Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2014 Edition, (08.15.2013)
• Forty-Eight Mintz Levin Attorneys Featured in Chambers USA 2013 Guide, (05.24.2013)
• Twenty-Four Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2012 New York Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (09.20.2012)
• Sixty Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2013 Edition, (08.24.2012)
• Forty-One Mintz Levin Attorneys Featured in Chambers USA 2012 Guide, (06.07.2012)
• Twenty Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2011 New York Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (09.23.2011)
•Mentioned in WTC Progress, Legal Bisnow (08.08.2011)
• Thirty Four Mintz Levin Attorneys Featured in Chambers USA 2011 Guide, (03.21.2011)
• Eighteen Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2010 New York Super Lawyers, (09.29.2010)
• Mintz Levin's Jeffrey A. Moerdler Appointed as Commissioner of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, (04.14.2010)
• Eight Mintz Levin Attorneys Named New York Super Lawyers, (10.01.2008)
• Prominent Community Leaders Gather to Support Metropolitan Council on Jewish Poverty in Launch of New Legal Services Program, (12.14.2007)
• Ten Mintz Levin Attorneys Named New York Metro Super Lawyers, (09.24.2007)
Jeff Moerdler talks about the factors businesses need to consider when selecting a data network facility.