Jeffrey Sklaroff has a varied litigation practice focusing on a wide range of civil and criminal matters. He has been lead trial counsel in numerous federal and state jury trials, including high-profile criminal cases and product liability lawsuits for some of the nation's leading companies. Jeff also handles a broad range of civil matters including media and cable television cases. He has argued numerous appeals in state and federal appellate courts and has been appointed on multiple occasions by federal judges to serve as a receiver in major cases. Jeffrey was also appointed by the chief judge of the New York Court of Appeals to serve as counsel to a committee of judges, private practitioners, public sector lawyers, and law professors to render a report and recommendations for improving the grand jury system in New York.
Prior to joining Greenberg Traurig, Jeff served for six years as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the criminal division of the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York, where he was the recipient of the director's award, presented by the Attorney General of the United States. Before the U.S. Attorney's Office, Jeff practiced at a national New York firm. He has frequently been asked to provide legal commentary in print and television media and has participated in numerous panel discussions and lectures.
Areas of Concentration
· White collar criminal investigations and litigation
· Complex civil litigation
· Securities litigation
· Product liability
· Federal court receiverships
· Internal investigations
· Cable and broadcast television
· Class actions
Professional & Community Involvement
· Regional Co-chair, American Bar Association, Committee on Criminal Justice, White Collar Crime Subcommittee on Sentencing
· Member, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
· Member, American Bar Association, Product Liability/Mass Torts Committee
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Criminal Defense: White-Collar, 2013-2014
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, New York Super Lawyers, 2007-2012
· Team Member, Law360 "Product Liability Group of the Year," 2011
· Recipient, "United States Attorney General Director's Award" for Superior Performance, Washington, D.C., April 1991
· Appointed by Chief Judge Judith Kaye of the New York Court of Appeals to serve as Counsel to the Grand Jury Project, a commission of judges, prosecutors, defense lawyers and law professors to issue a report and recommendations for improving the grand jury system in New York.
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Representation of financial institutions and corporations in sensitive federal and state criminal and civil investigations conducted by the U.S. Department of Justice, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and various state Attorneys General.
· Representation of former CEO of publicly-traded company in defense of SEC enforcement action and related indictment.
· Representation of major financial institution in regulatory investigation into sales of mortgage backed securities.
· Represents former high-level officers of major Puerto Rico financial institutions in defense of securities class actions and related proceedings.
· Retained by nationally recognized insurance company as lead trial counsel in product liability lawsuits involving exposure to asbestos.
· Lead trial counsel in defense of product liability lawsuits arising from smokers' claims against major tobacco company.
· Representation of cable and broadcast television clients including major sports content providers in distribution and litigation issues.
· Appointed by federal judge on motion of the SEC to serve as Distribution Agent of Vivendi Universal, S.A. disgorgement fund.
· Represented national fast food franchise company in defense of class action securities claims.
· Defended CEO of major health insurance company at pre-indictment stage resulting in no charges being filed.
· Represented Assistant Controller of Fortune 50 company in false reporting investigation conducted by Department of Justice and SEC.
· Obtained dismissal prior to indictment of federal charges arising from trafficking in contraband currency.
· Represented foreign bank in connection with federal forfeiture matters in the United States.
· Represented international labor union in all civil litigation arising from the international's imposition of trusteeship over local unions and other matters arising under federal consent decree.
· Counsel to 145 former federal judges, U.S. Attorneys and high-ranking Justice Department officials acting as amici curiae in United States v. Angelos, 433 F.3d 738 (10th Cir.), cert. denied, 2006 WL 1880941 (Dec. 4, 2006)(attacking constitutionality of federal mandatory sentences).
· Appointed by federal judge to serve as receiver on behalf of National Heritage Life Insurance Company in complex civil litigation and parallel federal criminal actions.
· Appointed by federal judge, on recommendation of the SEC, to serve as receiver in connection with repatriation of funds to the United States for disbursement to defrauded investors in securities fraud action.
· Assistant U.S. Attorney, Criminal Division, Southern District of New York, 1989-1994.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Faculty Member, Litigating Copyright, Trademark and Unfair Competition Cases For the Experienced Practitioner, 1996 (Internet and Electronic Communication Jurisdiction), and 1997 (Trade Secret Protection Under the "Inevitable Disclosure" Doctrine; Electronic Espionage Act).