Jeffrey Joy has more than 25 years of experience in income tax and estate tax planning matters for high-net-worth individuals and the owners of closely held businesses. He works closely with business owners to plan for the transfer of their assets to their children and grandchildren, and develop plans for the succession of ownership in their companies using a variety of techniques, including buy-sell agreements, family limited partnerships and limited liability companies, irrevocable trusts, life insurance liquidity plans, and other creative strategies. Jeff also has experience in international tax planning, including the facilitation of foreign direct investment in United States real estate, as well as the acquisition of and investment in U.S. businesses by foreign investors, and has represented foreign-based clients in connection with the U.S. tax aspects of structuring and operating U.S. investment portfolios. Jeff regularly works with clients on the formation and operation of captive insurance companies.
Areas of Concentration
· Domestic and international income tax planning
· Domestic and international estate planning
· Wealth transfer planning
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, American Bar Association, Taxation, International Law, Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Sections
· Member, International Bar Association
· Member, California Bar Association, Taxation and Estate Planning Sections
· Member, Orange County Bar Association, Tax and Estate Planning Sections
- Chair, Tax Section, 2002
· Member, Board of Directors, Habitat for Humanity, Orange County, CA
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Tax Law, 2006-2014
· Listed, OC Register Metro magazine, "Top Attorneys," Tax, 2013
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Southern California Super Lawyers, 2004, 2008-2013
- "Top 50 Lawyers in Orange County," 2010-2011
· Certified in Taxation Law by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization
· Certified in Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Advised family holding $500 million of real property on income tax and estate planning matters regarding transfer and sale of property.
· Assisted clients in sale of assets of privately held company to Fortune 500 company.
· Assisted clients in the tax aspects of the sale of their closely held company to Fortune 50 company - transaction was structured as a §368(a)(1)(B) reorganization.
· Structured, drafted and implemented an estate plan for clients with a $25 million VUL policy.
· Structured, drafted and implemented a $28 million intentionally defective grantor trust with a self-canceling installment note feature for a client.
· Law Clerk, Judge William M. Fay, United States Tax Court, 1978-1980
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Author, "Estate Planning in 2010 and 2011: Navigating Without a Compass," Orange County Business Journal, September 2010
· Author, "Holding Your Insurance Hostage," Builder & Developer, February 2007
· Panelist, "FLP & LLC's: Their Uses in Family Wealth Transfers," California Continuing Education of the Bar, October 2005