Jeffrey Leacox represents businesses and trade associations before the California Legislature, the Governor and state agencies. He has wide-ranging public policy experience in business regulation, civil justice and tort reform, corporate governance, employment, health care, insurance, taxation and technology.
Jeffrey helped negotiate and draft many laws governing electronic information and commerce, including the California Online Privacy Protection Act of 2003, the California Consumer Protection Against Computer Spyware Act of 2004, and the California Anti-Phishing Act of 2005. He also lobbied laws concerning database security, financial privacy, anti-spam measures, telemarketing restrictions, internet jurisdiction and online contract formation.
Jeffrey has represented cities, counties, school districts, and special districts as outside counsel in all aspects of their operations, including employee relations and collective bargaining. He also conducted administrative hearings, arbitrated, and litigated in state and federal courts.
Areas of Concentration
· Legislative and regulatory advocacy
· Corporate governance
· Civil justice and tort reform
· Electronic commerce and privacy
· Employment law and regulation
· Healthcare and pharmacy law and licensing
· Insurance law and regulation
· Intellectual property and technology
· Political law and compliance
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, American Bar Association
· Member, Board of Directors, Sacramento Area Regional Technology Alliance
· Member, Board of Directors, Sutter Davis Health Foundation
· Member, Board of Governors, Alumni Association, University of California Davis School of Law
· Member, Institute of Government Advocates
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Technology Law, 2013-2014
· Rated, AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5
IT and Biotechnology
· Represented IT and biotechnology companies in opposition to legislation that threatened the confidentiality of trade secrets and other proprietary information.
· Acted as the lead on crisis communications in the Legislature when it conducted an investigation, including oversight hearings, into the client's $100 million enterprise licensing agreement with the state.
· Represented the electronics industry in a defeat of onerous recycling legislation.
· Led a legislative effort that clarified the application of California's electronic recycling law to lease transactions.
· Represented various entities in opposition to legislation that would have unreasonably limited animal testing and the production of animal biologics.
Health Care and Pharmaceutical
· Helped a major drug wholesaler obtain expedited approval of its out-of-state facility by the California State Board of Pharmacy.
· Helped a pharmaceutical manufacturer obtain expedited approval of its in-state manufacturing facility by the California Department of Health Services.
· Helped multiple out-of-state pharmacies obtain expedited approval of pharmacy and sterile compounding licenses by the California State Board of Pharmacy.
· Helped a major health care technology company clarify the regulatory status of its innovative drug dispensing technology used in the hospital setting.
Insurance & Finance
· Represented a major insurer in connection with legislative oversight hearings culminating in the resignation of California's Insurance Commissioner.
· Represented a major insurer in efforts against legislation that would have restored third party bad faith tort causes of action in California and other legislation that would have indefinitely extended the statute of limitations on property damage claims following a major natural catastrophe.
· Saved a federally chartered financial institution hundreds of thousands of dollars in annual licensing and training costs with a new regulatory compliance strategy .
· Advised an investment arbitrage firm regarding the probable timing and outcomes of regulatory proceedings.
· Helped the lending unit of a major auto manufacturer obtain expedited regulatory approval from the California Department of Motor Vehicles.
· Represented a coalition of lighting maintenance companies, first in legislation to amend the statutes governing electrician licensing, then in the adoption of regulations to implement the amended statutes.
· Represented the sponsor of a new law that clarified the licensing of elevator/conveyance companies and the permitting of their new installations.
· Helped a major elevator/conveyance manufacturer obtain expedited regulatory approval of innovative conveyance technology from the California Department of Occupational Safety and Health.
· Defeated legislation that would have unfairly limited the ability of referral agencies to refer work to independent contractors.
· Represented various entities in opposition to bills that would have allowed claims of anti-competitive conspiracies between entities with common ownership and other legislation that would have expanded securities litigation against publicly traded corporations and their officers, directors and financial services providers.
· Negotiated amendments to corporate governance and whistleblower legislation enacted in the aftermath of Enron, WorldCom and other corporate accounting scandals.
· Opposed trial lawyer legislation that would have eliminated the ability of a business defendant to file a special motion to strike a lawsuit filed over the business communication regarding its product, services or operations.
· Negotiated and drafted key provisions of California's "breach notice" law which requires notice to consumers whenever someone may have gained unlawful access to personal information in an electronic database.
· Helped an international manufacturer clarify the regulatory status of its alternative vehicle with the California Department of Motor Vehicles.
· Retained in the final days of the legislative session to obtain a veto that pleased investors, as evidenced by a 4% increase in the client's market capitalization.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Speaker, "Uniform Commercial Code," AeA SPAN, San Diego, CA, 2005
· Speaker, "California Licensing and Permitting Laws: A New Regime," National Elevator Industry, Inc., 2003
· Speaker, "Electronics Recycling," AeA SPAN, Denver, CO, 2001
· Speaker, "Privacy Law and Regulation," Government Technology Conference, Sacramento, CA, 2000
· Author, "Healthcare Reform: California's New Deal," GT Sacramento Newsletter, October 2007