Areas of Concentration
· Legal malpractice
· Entertainment law
· Mergers and Acquisitions
Awards and Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Legal Malpractice Law - Defendants; Legal Malpractice Law - Plaintiffs, 1995-2014
- "Lawyer of the Year," Legal Malpractice Law - Plaintiffs, Atlanta, 2014
· Listed, Who's Who in the World, 1992-Present
· Listed, Who's Who in America, 1983-Present
· Listed, Who's Who in American Law, 1978-Present
· Listed, Top Legal Malpractice and Ethics Lawyers, The American Lawyer
· Team Member, U.S. News - Best Lawyers® "Law Firm of the Year" in Entertainment Law - Music, 2011-2012
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Georgia Super Lawyers, Securities Law, 2004, 2006, 2009-2013
· Recipient, "Service Award," National Association of Chinese Americans, 2012
· Recipient, "ALI-ABA Special Award of Merit" for writing and lecturing in the areas of ethics and malpractice, 1984
· Recipient, "Service Award," American Heart Association, Georgia Affiliate, 1982
· Recipient, "Vital Service Award," Atlanta Association for Retarded Citizens, 1979
· Recipient, "Service Award," University of Minnesota Law School Council, 1973
· Recipient, "Corpus Juris Award" for the Best Contribution to Legal Research, West Publishing Company, University of Minnesota Law School, 1972-1973
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
Professional and Community Involvement
· Sole Financial Sponsor, Harvard Thai Studies Lecture Series, named in honor of former Harvard Professor, Stanley J. Tambiah, 2013
· Pro Bono General Counsel
- National Association of Chinese Americans, 2010-Present
- Atlanta Community Food Bank, 1989-2009
- Georgia March of Dimes, 1994-1997
- Ronald McDonald House (Children's Oncology Services of Georgia, Inc.), 1990-1995
- Georgia Heart Association, 1978-1989
- Atlanta Association for Retarded Citizens, 1979-1982
· Appointed, State Bar of Georgia Continuing Lawyer Competency Commission, 2009-Present
· Pro Bono Arbitrator, State Bar of Georgia, 1990-Present
· Member, Consultative Group, American Law Institute, Restatement of the Law-The Law Governing Lawyers, 1986-Present
· Appointed Chairperson, Georgia Institute of Continuing Legal Education's Professionalism, Ethics and Malpractice Seminar, 1984-Present
· Board of Directors, UNICEF (USA), 2007-2009
· Board of Directors, Atlanta Community Food Bank, 2007-2009
· Co-Chairperson, Atlanta Policeman's Ball, 2008
· Pro Bono English Instructor, Institute of Buddhist Dialectics, Dharamsala, India, 2003-2004
· Member, ABA Standing Committee on Lawyer Competence, 1993-1995
· Chairperson, 1985-1987, Member, 1981-1985, ABA Standing Committee on Lawyers' Professional Liability
· Chairperson, 1983-1984, Vice-Chairperson, 1979-1983, ABA Torts and Insurance Practice Section
· Vice-Chairperson, General Practice Section Professional Liability Committee, 1980-1982
Jeffrey Smith has lectured on the subjects of entertainment and securities, as well as legal and accounting malpractice, at 11 universities, including full semester courses at Duke, Emory and Vanderbilt. He has also lectured on the subjects of securities, legal and accounting malpractice at more than 200 major seminars, in 44 American states, as well as the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, 15 universities, and in 10 countries, including seminars for the Securities and Exchange Commission, National Association of Securities Dealers, and the American Arbitration Association.
· Honorary Professor and Guest Lecturer, "Securities Law and Legal Opinions," Central University of Finance and Economics, Beijing, China, 2008-Present
· Guest Lecturer, "Securities Regulation," Suzhou Institute, Suzhou, China, 2009
· Guest Lecturer, "Securities Law," Suzhou University, School of Business, Beijing, China, 2009
· Guest Lecturer, "Securities Law and Legal Opinions," Shanghai University Business School, Shanghai, China, 2008
· Guest Lecturer, "Implementing New Business Plans," University of Georgia, School of Business, Athens, Georgia, 2002-2007
· Guest Lecturer, "Personal Finance and Investing," Emory University School of Business, Atlanta, Georgia, 2004
· Pro Bono English Instructor, Institute of Buddhist Dialectics, Dharamsala, India, 2003
· Faculty Leader, "Post Graduate Education: Managing the Corporate Legal Department," Duke University, Fuqua School of Business, Durham, North Carolina, 1992 and 1993
· Lecturer in Law, "Legal Profession," 1976-1977 and 1990; Guest Lecturer, "Legal Ethics," 1979-1980, 1986-1987, and 1992, Duke University School of Law, Durham, North Carolina
· Lecturer in Law, "Litigation Under the Federal Securities Laws," 1977-1978 and "Profession of Law," 1977-1981; Guest Lecturer, 1981-1982 and 1988-1989, Vanderbilt University School of Law, Nashville, Tennessee
· Adjunct Professor, "Professional Liability of Attorneys and Accountants," 1976-1977; Guest Lecturer, 1978-1979; Adjunct Professor, "Law Office Management," 1981-1982; Instructor, "Emory Summer Program for Lawyers: Law Office Management," June 15-19, 1981, Emory University School of Law, Atlanta, Georgia
Articles and Publications
Jeffrey Smith has authored or co-authored several books and more than 50 articles on securities, accounting, legal opinions, legal malpractice, quality control, ethics and entertainment joint ventures.
· Co-Author, Legal Malpractice, West Publishing, 2013
· Co-Author, Legal Opinions in Business Transactions, 2011 (being translated into Mandarin)
· Co-Author, Preventing Legal Malpractice, 1998
· Editor and Reviewer, Levinson, Accountant's Legal Liability, Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, Inc., 1981
· Represented broker-dealers, including Oppenheimer & Co., Inc., FirsTrust (China) and Bear Stearns & Co., Inc.; corporations and securities matters, including General Steel Holdings, Inc. (China) and SGOCO Limited (China); insurers in securities matters, including Swiss Re and the Travelers; insurers, including Travelers, as well as banks and other companies involving directors and officers liability; law firms and accounting firms, including Deloitte & Touche LLP, in securities, quality control and ethics matters.
· Mediated and arbitrated in the areas of securities, legal malpractice and accounting malpractice.
· Provided expert witness services in securities and legal malpractice matters for plaintiffs and defendants, including for the FDIC and formerly for the RTC.
· Represented leading entertainers and entertainment companies, including casinos, themed restaurants and hotels, computer game companies, record companies and publishing companies in various securities, trademark-licensing and other financial transactions, including joint ventures, in which clients have included: Aerosmith, Jimmy Buffett, Alan Jackson, Michael Jackson Estate, Magic Johnson, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, Def Leppard, Margaritaville Enterprises, Bob Marley Estate, Bret Michaels, Matt and Dean Serletic, George Strait, Justin Timberlake and Virgin Gaming.
· Represented sports-related individuals and entities, including Magic Johnson, Olympic speed skater, Apolo Ohno, the National Basketball Association and various entertainers connected with sports, such as naming rights to the Miami Dolphins Stadium for Jimmy Buffett's LandShark Lager.
· Participated in traditional and nontraditional movie transactions, including renting Seaside, Florida to Paramount Pictures for the movie entitled "The Truman Show."