Jeffrey S. Kahn focuses his practice on employee benefits, executive compensation, and the design, implementation and operation of Employee Stock Ownership Plans ("ESOPs"). A frequent lecturer and author, Jeff has published articles in numerous professional and trade magazines and has lectured frequently before professional, charitable, financial, and business audiences on ERISA, ESOPs and other employee benefit subjects.
Areas of Concentration
· Design, drafting, and administration of all forms of qualified plans
· Design and implementation of leveraged and non-leveraged ESOPs
· Ongoing representation of ESOPs
· Ongoing representation of ESOP trustees and lenders
· Employee benefit aspects of mergers and acquisitions
· ERISA reporting and disclosure compliance
· Advice on fiduciary and prohibited transaction rules under ERISA
Professional & Community Involvement
· The Florida Bar
- Member, Tax Section, Employee Benefits Committee
· Chair, Employee Benefits Committee, South Palm Beach County Bar Association
· Founder and Chair, Annual Employee Benefits Conference, Boca Raton, FL
· Member, Taxation Section, Committee on Employee Benefits, New York State Bar Association
· Member, The ESOP Association
· Member, National Center for Employee Ownership
· Member, American Society of Pension Professionals & Actuaries (ASPPA)
· Past President, Jewish Community Foundation of South Palm Beach County
· Chair, Professional Advisory Committee for Palm Beach County for the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
· Member, Professional Advisory Committee, Center for the Arts at Mizner Park
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Tax Law, 2010-2014
· Member, Winning Team, ACG New York Champion's Award, M&A Deal of the Year (over $200mm to $500mm) for Martin Resource Management Corporation ESOP, 2013
· Listed, Legal 500 United States, 2011
· Listed, "Best of the Bar," South Florida Business Journal, 2005
· Recipient, "Endowment Achievement Award," Jewish Federation of South Palm Beach County, 2001
· Recipient, "Endowment Achievement Award," United Jewish Communities, 2001
· Recognized as "Coach of the Year," Soccer Association of Boca Raton, 1999
· Recipient, "Israel Leadership Award," Israel Bonds
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· ESOP counsel to PBSJ Corporation's $280 million sale to WS Akins PLC.
· Represented The Pala Group in a 100% leveraged ESOP buyout.
· ERISA counsel to Nationwide Mutual Insurance Co. in its $115 million sale of The 401(k) Companies to The Charles Schwab Corporation.
· Represented Thayer Capital in leveraged ESOP buyout of Naumann Hobbs, Inc., a materials handling and logistics provider.
· Negotiated the Employee Benefit and Executive Compensation aspects for Isogon Corporation, a software company, as seller in its sale to IBM.
· Negotiated the Employee Benefit and Executive Compensation aspects for FXM, Inc. as purchaser in its approximately $115 million acquisition of a controlling interest in the Elvis Presley estate from Priscilla and Lisa-Marie Presley.
· ERISA counsel to J Manheimer Inc. in connection with its sale to Mastertaste, a division of Kerry.
· ERISA counsel to Com Vest Investment Partners II LLC in its acquisition of Catalyst International, Inc. by merger of a newly formed subsidiary of Com Vest with and into Catalyst.
· Negotiated the Employee Benefit and Executive Compensation aspects for Atlas Holdings, LLC as purchaser in its $35 million acquisition of a lumbermill business from Weyerhaeuser Company.
· Represented HealthCentersOnline, Inc., a medical content website, in its acquisition of iVillage, Inc.
· Justice Bertram Harnett, Supreme Court of the State of New York, 1976
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Quoted, "Online Exclusive: ESOP May Be the Best (Only) Option for Selling a Business," Financial Executive magazine, March 2013
· Co-Author, "ESOPs Offer Exit Strategy Business Owners Should Consider," ALM Daily Business Review (reprinted in ALM Corporate Counsel magazine), August 2012
· ESOP Association Legal Update: Case Law Developments, June 2012
· ESOP Association Legal Update: Recent Case Law and Regulatory Developments, September 2011
· Co-Author, "ESOPs' Promise," The Deal magazine, June 24, 2011
· ESOP Association Legal Update, August 2010
· Co-Author, "Employee Stock Ownership Plans for Subchapter S Corporations", Florida Bar Tax Section Bulletin, February 2006
· Author, "Year-End Retirement Planning under the Pension Protection Act of 2006"
· Author, "Employee Benefit Plans, ERISA and Insurance Agents," 150 page chapter in Responsibilities of Insurance Agents and Brokers, a four-volume treatise, published by Matthew Bender & Co., 1978-2002
Lectures & Media Appearances
· Co-Presenter, "ESOP Legislative, Regulatory & Judicial Update," ESOP Association's 36th Annual Conference, Washington, D.C., May 9, 2013
· Selling a Business To an Employee Stock Ownership Plan After the 2012 Tax Act, April 12, 2013
· U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum Seminar for Professionals, October 18, 2012
· Transitioning Business Ownership Through an Employee Stock Ownership Plan, The Probate & Pumpernickel Luncheon, April 12, 2012
· ESOPS: An Innovative M&A Strategy in the Current Market, September 2010
· Selling a Business to an ESOP in a Credit Crunch, April 2010
· Fundamentals in Retirement Planning - South Palm Beach County Bar Association, January 2010
· Retirement Planning under the 2006 Pension Act
· Retirement Plan Developments "Wealth & Wisdom," WXEL TV, February 2006
(Also at West Palm Beach Office)