Jeff excels in finding practical and pragmatic solutions to problems faced by clients in the financial services industry, specifically in the areas of commercial bankruptcy, commercial loan workouts, out-of-court restructurings, distressed mergers and acquisitions, loan documentation and the protection of creditors' rights.
He represents several regional and national banks and other financial institutions in connection with their special assets work, commercial bankruptcy and commercial litigation. He also represents purchasers, venture capital groups and lending institutions in distressed mergers and acquisitions in bankruptcy proceedings, as well as several Fortune 500 companies in their commercial credit and bankruptcy matters.
Recent victories have included representing:
· A multibillion-dollar private equity group in the acquisition of a manufacturing company with worldwide operations through Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings.
· A regional bank in hundreds of commercial property foreclosures as a result of the national downturn in residential housing.
· The trustee of a liquidation trust in adversary proceedings to avoid and recover preferential and fraudulent transfers of the debtor's property.
· Equity owners of a private company in a Chapter 11 reorganization proceeding.
Jeff is the Managing Partner of Husch Blackwell's Chattanooga office and a member of the firm's Executive and Partner Boards.
Awards & Recognitions
· Mid-South Super Lawyers, Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights, 2009-2012
Professional Associations & Memberships
· American Bankruptcy Institute
· American Bar Association
· Brock-Cooper American Inn of Court, Master
· Chattanooga Bar Association
· State Bar of Georgia
· Tennessee Bar Association, Bankruptcy Law Section, Executive Council, Chair, 2010-2011; East Tennessee Delegate to the Bankruptcy Law Section, Executive Council, 2002-present
· Boy Scouts of America, Cherokee Area Council, President, 2007-2008; Legal Counsel, 1996-2006; Chair, 2009-2010; Executive Committee, 1996-present; Board of Directors, 1992-present
· Signal Crest United Methodist Church, Board of Trustees, 2008
· Counsel for a multibillion-dollar private equity group in the acquisition of a manufacturing company with worldwide operations through Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings.
· Advised a regional bank in hundreds of commercial property foreclosures that resulted from the downturn in the real estate market.
· Served as the trustee of a liquidation trust in more than 1,000 adversary proceedings to avoid and recover preferential and fraudulent transfers of the debtor's property.
· Advised equity owners of a private company in Chapter 11 reorganization proceeding.
1.1.08, Strategic Alternatives For Distressed Businesses, Tennessee Chapter, West Thompson