Jeff specializes in complex civil litigation, including litigation involving allegations of fraud, First Amendment issues, and claims of defamation.
In 1997, Jeff was appointed Deputy Chief Counsel for the Minority of the US Senate Governmental Affairs Committee Special Investigation into campaign fundraising practices, in which capacity he represented the Democratic senators in connection with the full Committee's investigation into fundraising during the 1996 presidential election. He also served as Chief Counsel for the Minority of the US Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations, representing the Ranking Member and the Democratic senators in connection with the Subcommittee's investigations into areas that included Medicare fraud and governmental waste and abuse.
Between 1987 and 1990, Jeff served as an Assistant US Attorney in the District of Massachusetts, focusing on civil fraud investigations and litigation against governmental contractors, physicians, and pharmacies. In 1989, he was appointed as the first Chief of the Asset Forfeiture Division of the US Attorney's Office for the District of Massachusetts, in which capacity he oversaw investigations and asset forfeiture cases involving narcotics and money laundering rings. He received commendations from the US Drug Enforcement Administration, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and the General Services Administration.
He has represented a number of parties in connection with Congressional investigations, and has been appointed as Special Assistant Attorney General for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, representing the former Secretary of State of the Commonwealth in connection with Congressional redistricting and public records litigation.
• Mintz Levin Attorney Jeffrey S. Robbins to Moderate Panel Discussions on Race and Tolerance Following Elements Theatre Company's Production of The Merchant of Venice, (01.14.2015)
• Quoted in Insurer Not Liable for Theft of Personal Data, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly (11.04.2014)
• Eighty-Five Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2014 Massachusetts Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (10.17.2014)
• Mentioned in Herald Execs Talk up Future of News, Boston Herald (12.03.2013)
• Mintz Levin to Host Panel Discussion: Do Newspapers Have a Future?, (11.26.2013)
• Seventy-Nine Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2013 Massachusetts Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (10.21.2013)
• Quoted in Mass. Trial Court Awards Costs to Newspaper in Defamation Suit, BNA's Media Law Reporter (07.09.2013)
• Featured in Boston Rocker to Pay $132 in Court Costs, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly (07.03.2013)
• Quoted in Statements of Reasons for Suicide Are Necessarily Opinion, BNA's Media Law Reporter (04.05.2013)
• Quoted in Boston Founder's Defamation Claims Thrown out of Court, National Law Journal (03.28.2013)
• Quoted in Boston Herald Beats Libel Suit over Boston Singer's Suicide, Law360 (03.28.2013)
• Quoted in Judge Tosses Boston Rocker's Lawsuit against Herald, Boston Herald (03.27.2013)
• Quoted in Tom Scholz Loses Suit against Boston Herald, Boston Globe (03.27.2013)
• Seventy-One Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2012 Massachusetts Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (10.22.2012)
• Quoted in A Glimpse inside Mitt's Strategy, Boston Herald (09.24.2012)
• Mintz Levin's Jeffrey S. Robbins Appointed Chair of Anti-Defamation League for New England, (09.18.2012)
• Fifty-Two Mintz Levin Attorneys Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers, (10.21.2011)
• Quoted in Judge Drops Part of Band Founder's Herald Lawsuit, The Boston Globe (09.15.2011)
• Jeffrey S. Robbins to Receive Human Rights Award from American Jewish Committee (Boston), (02.26.2010)
• Forty-Five Mintz Levin Attorneys Recognized as Massachusetts Super Lawyers, (10.25.2007)
• Moderator, The Dramatic Changes That Have Up-Ended the Media Business and Revolutionized How We Receive Our News, Do Newspapers Have a Future?, Boston, MA (12.03.2013)
• Speaker, Civil Trial Advocacy: MCLE BasicsPlus, MCLE (03.17.2010)
Recognitions & Awards
•US Department of Justice Special Achievement Award (1990)
•Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Business Litigation (2004 - 2007, 2011 - 2014)
•American Jewish Committee Boston Human Rights Award (2010)
•Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent