Jen focuses her bi-coastal C-suite executive compensation practice on meeting the increasingly complex employment needs of executives of public and private corporations.
When she isn't negotiating employment, equity and severance arrangements, Jen leverages her twenty-five years of experience as a trial lawyer to help clients craft business solutions to legal problems.
While Jen is a zealous advocate in the courtroom, she relishes her role as counselor and focuses her practice on solving employee mobility issues, litigating wage and hour class actions, and making employment regulations accessible for her corporate clients. Some of her more recent representative litigation matters include:
Obtained a judgment after trial for a medical device manufacturer against its former CEO affirming the company's termination of the CEO for cause under an employment agreement, and an award of legal fees for the company against the former CEO.
• Represented a leading provider of cloud computing applications and members of its management team in an employee non-solicitation lawsuit.
• Successfully defeated claims after preliminary injunction hearing by one of the nation's largest integrated pharmacy management companies against a former executive to prevent him from joining its competitor.
• Represented a global investment bank relating to an alleged breach of an employee's restrictive covenant agreement and unfair competition claims.
• Obtained reversal of jury verdict after trial on appeal for race discrimination claims against a real estate developer in the Bronx County Supreme Court.
• Successfully defeated collective action and class action certification in a wage and hour action against a provider of home health aides.
BTI Consulting Group recognized Jen as a Client Service All-Star in 2013 based on unprompted recommendations by nearly 250 corporate counsel at Fortune 1000 and other large corporations. She was selected for her superior client focus and keen understanding of their business issues.
Jen is frequently quoted in the Wall Street Journal and other publications about employment topics and trends, and contributes articles to publications such as the New York Law Journal and Corporate Board Member Magazine.
In addition to her client responsibilities, Jennifer leads Mintz Levin's Diversity Committeein a number of initiatives aimed at promoting diversity in the profession and at the firm.
5 Attributes of a Successful Non-Compete Agreement, JD Supra Business Advisor (06.30.2014)
• Author, Proactive Strategies to Reduce Post-Employment Covenant Risks, New York Law Journal (09.12.2013)
• Author, Taking Your Candidates to the 'Vet', Corporate Board Member (01.03.2013)
• Author, Understanding and Mitigating Liability for Workplace Romances, New York Law Journal (12.26.2012)
• Co-author, New York Appellate Court Defines Summary Judgment Standard for New York City Human Rights Law Claims, Employment, Labor & Benefits Alert (12.27.2011)
• Author, Paid Sick Leave Act Poses Some Challenges, Hartford Business Journal (06.20.2011)
• Author, Connecticut to Require Many Employers to Offer Paid Sick Leave, Employment, Labor & Benefits Alert (06.10.2011)
• Co-author, New York City Human Rights Law: Expanding Frontiers of Liability, New York Law Journal (04.14.2011)
• Co-author, Don't Shoot the Messenger: Another Court Cautions against Retaliating against Employees Who Report Data Security Concerns, Employment, Labor & Benefits Alert (11.23.2010)
• Co-author, New York Task Force Continues Aggressive Enforcement Against Employers Who Misclassify Their Workers, Employment, Labor & Benefits Alert (06.22.2010)
• Author, New Jersey Supreme Court Finds Privacy Rights in Employee E-Mails, Employment, Labor & Benefits Alert (04.02.2010)
• Author, Workplace Privacy and Attorney-Client Privilege in a World of Electronic Communication, Connecticut Bar Association Labor and Employment Quarterly (02.2010)
• Co-author, New York DOL Reverses Course: Employers No Longer Required To Use Its Official Form for New Hires, Employment, Labor & Benefits Alert (12.04.2009)
• Co-author, Decision by the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit Allows High-Level Executive To Compete with Former Employer, Employee Mobility Alert (11.09.2009)
• Co-author, The Increased Use of Social Networking Websites and the Importance of a Social Networking Policy for Your Workforce, Employment, Labor & Benefits Alert (10.05.2009)
• Broad Interpretations of Human Rights Law May Increase Discrimination Exposure for New York City Employers, Employment, Labor & Benefits Advisory (03.13.2009)
• Directors Can Be Liable for Layoffs, Plant Closings, Corporate Board Member Magazine (2009)
Panelist, Preview and Trends of the 2014 Corporate Equality Index Report, Human Rights Campaign, San Diego, CA (11.20.2013)
• Speaker, Winning Post-Employment Covenant Claims Before the Lawsuit: A Proactive Approach to Noncompetes, Mintz Levin, Webinar (09.17.2013)
• Moderator, Legal Rights & Obligations Post-DOMA: A Multidisciplinary Webinar for Individuals & Employers, Mintz Levin, Webinar (08.12.2013)
• Panelist, Practical Advice for Employment Growth while Complying with State & Federal Immigration Enforcement Initiatives, Practical Advice for Employment Growth while Complying with State & Federal Immigration Enforcement, Mintz Levin, Webinar (04.28.2011)
• Speaker, A New World Order: Managing Your Workforce in Today's Economy, Mintz Levin, New York, NY (05.07.2009)
• Speaker, Don't Make Yourself a Target, Mintz Levin, Webinar (04.02.2009)
• Mintz Levin Bolsters California Employment Practice with Addition of Member Jennifer B. Rubin to San Diego Office, (05.28.2014)
• Mintz Levin Receives its Seventh Consecutive Perfect Score on Human Rights Campaign Foundation's 2014 Corporate Equality Index, (12.09.2013)
• Quoted in GCs Name 28 Employment Attys That Keep Them Happy, Law360 (02.15.2013)
• Mintz Levin's Jennifer Rubin Named Client Service All-Star by BTI Consulting, (02.11.2013)
• Quoted in Only 50 Large Law Firms Have Female Leaders, Law360 (06.15.2012)
• Quoted in Making Sure Employees Beat the Heat, Wall Street Journal - WSJ.com (07.29.2011)
• Quoted in HP Sues Ex-CEO Over New Job, Washington Post (09.08.2010)
• Quoted in HP Tries to Block Former CEO's Move to Oracle,Law360 (09.08.2010)
• Quoted in For Business, Bully Lawsuits May Pose New Threat, Wall Street Journal - WSJ.com (05.26.2010)
• Quoted in Stickups and Burglaries Are on the Rise - At Work, Wall Street Journal (11.17.2009)
(Also at Stamford, Connecticut and San Diego, California Offices)