Jennifer J. Hollingsworth practices in Nexsen Pruet's Business and Commercial Litigation Practice Group.
Ms. Hollingsworth's experience as a litigation attorney includes:
· Defending Nursing Homes and Assisted Living Facilities in Medical Malpractice and Wrongful Death/Survival/Negligence actions
· Certificate of Need litigation
· Fiduciary Duty litigation including Breach of Trust and Professional Negligence
· Defending South Carolina Unfair Trade Practice claims
· Complex Domestic Disputes
· Litigating Defamation and Privacy Torts
· Defending Construction Disputes, including active third party practice
· Contested Mortgage Foreclosures
Ms. Hollingsworth received her law degree from the University of South Carolina School of Law. She also received her Master's in Social Work from the University of South Carolina and was the first person to complete the joint J.D./M.S.W. program as a full-time student.
While in law school, Ms. Hollingsworth was an Articles Editor for the ABA Real Property, Probate & Trust Journal, elected Vice-President of the Children's Advocacy Law Society, and a member of both the Order of the Coif and Order of the Wig and Robe.
Ms. Hollingsworth's background includes working as a probation officer for the State of Florida's Department of Juvenile Justice while at Florida State University. As part of the Master's degree program, she completed internships in school social work, with Sumter School District 17, and outpatient addiction therapy with Palmetto Health Richland. Ms. Hollingsworth's background in corrections and counseling has helped her establish a collaborative style of practice that is appreciated by both clients and opposing counsel.
· Richland County CASA Foundation, Board of Directors and Vice Chairman
· Participant in the Nexsen Pruet Women Leadership Initiative's Next Steps Program, speaking to middle school girls on topics related to their development as future women leaders
· Volunteer through the South Carolina Bar Association with events including the Middle School Mock Trial Competitions, Special Olympics, and Wills for Heroes
· International Association of Defense Counsel's Trial Academy, Sacramento, August 2011
· National Institute of Trial Advocacy's Intensive Deposition Skills Training, New Orleans, April 2009
· Contributing editor to the "Tort Law Desk Reference: A Fifty State Compendium" (South Carolina portion), 2006-2009 editions
· Listed in South Carolina Super Lawyers "Rising Star" in Business/Corporate Litigation (2013)
· Ms. Hollingsworth has tried cases in the circuit court and family court. She has second chaired trials in the federal district court, circuit court, family court, and administrative law court.
· Ms. Hollingsworth has a significant amount of experience in litigation under South Carolina's Certificate of Need program in the areas of hospital expansion, linear accelerators, and open heart surgery.
· Ms. Hollingsworth has litigated numerous cases involving State and Federal rules and regulations of nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and day care facilities, dealing with claims including wrongful death, survival actions, medical malpractice, and negligence, with factual circumstances including elopement, falls, propriety of admission, and supervision.
· Ms. Hollingsworth's domestic experience includes negotiating and litigating complex custody issues and multi-million dollar marital estates.
Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Recognized By Peers; Twenty-Eight Named to 2013 Super Lawyers® List for South Carolina
Nexsen Pruet is pleased to announce the attorneys who have been listed in the 2013 edition of South Carolina Super Lawyers®.
Nexsen Pruet Elects Six New Members
Nexsen Pruet has elected six attorneys as Members (Partners) of the firm effective January 1, 2013.
Nexsen Pruet Earns Designation as 'Midlands Green Business'
Nexsen Pruet has earned designation as a Midlands Green Business, joining other Columbia-area organizations that are committed to environmentally responsible practices in the workplace.
· Co-Presenter, Documentation and Litigation in Community Residential Care Facilities, May 2009
· Presenter, Alternative Dispute Resolution in the Family Court, March 2006
Civic & Professional Memberships
· South Carolina Bar
· Richland County Bar Association
· South Carolina Women Lawyers Association
· South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys Association
· Defense Research Institute