Jenny's risk management responsibilities include researching and counseling on ethical and professional responsibility matters, supervising and providing training on conflicts clearing functions, drafting conflicts waiver letters, conducting risk management training and continuing legal education sessions, and reviewing the firm's website and promotional materials for compliance with ethical requirements.
Jenny also promotes Husch Blackwell's pro bono efforts by coordinating new pro bono opportunities with several nonprofit organizations and recruiting the firm's attorneys to handle these legal matters. Jenny provides in-house training on various issues, such as housing and family law matters, to ensure the firm's attorneys are qualified to handle the pro bono matters they are assigned. She maintains records of firm pro bono hours and accomplishments to confirm that the firm meets its required number of pro bono hours as stated in the Pro Bono Institute's Law Firm Pro Bono Challenge, of which the firm is a Signatory Member.
Jenny has presented more than 50 speeches on various topics, including workers' compensation, evidence, mentoring, ethics, the importance of volunteerism, trial preparation and bar association involvement.
Prior to joining the firm, Jenny was the Chief Administrative Law Judge in The Missouri Department of Labor and Industrial Relations' Division of Workers' Compensation.
Awards & Recognitions
· The Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis YLD Award of Merit, 1996, 1998
· Legal Services of Eastern Missouri Ashley Award for Outstanding Commitment to Serving Youth in our Community
· Missouri Bar Outstanding Service Award, 1998-1999
· The Missouri Bar's Thomas O. Cochran Community Service Award, 2008-2009
· St. Louis Junior Chamber of Commerce Top 20 St. Louisans Award
Professional Associations & Memberships
· American Bar Association
· The Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, Pro Bono Committee, Chair
· Legal Services of Eastern Missouri, Board
· The Missouri Bar, Delivery of Legal Services Committee, Co-chair, 2012-2013
· St. Louis County Bar Association
· Bar Plan Foundation, Board, 2002-present
· Junior League of St. Louis, Board
· Kids' Chance, Inc. of Missouri, Past President and Board, 1997-2007
News & Publications
10.26.12, The Missouri Bar Recognizes Two Husch Blackwell Pro Bono Advocates
4.29.10, Andrea Conley and Jenny Schwendemann Receive 2010 St. Louis Law Day Awards
6.25.08, St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Economic Woes Summon Lawyers to Lend a Hand to the Poor
4.2.08, Husch Blackwell Sanders' Jennifer L. Schwendemann Awarded The Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis' President's Award
1.1.10, Lawyers Responses to Auditors Request for Information: What are They and How Should you Respond? BAMSL
11.1.07, The Importance of Written Communication with Clients, BAMSL
3.1.06, The Expert Engagement Letter is Your Best Defense to a Spoliation Claim! BAMSL