Jerrold F. Goldberg has been practicing in virtually all aspects of labor and employment law since 1979, including the traditional labor/union-management area, employment discrimination, executive employment, severance agreements and wage and hour laws.
He represents management clients in diverse enterprises, including the health care, entertainment, hotel, restaurant, building service, construction, retail and service industries in matters ranging from state and federal administrative proceedings, drafting personnel policy manuals, and discrimination issues such as sexual harassment and the Americans with Disabilities Act, to employment agreements and restrictive covenant litigation.
He has extensive experience representing virtually all aspects of union avoidance and organizational work, as well as substantial motion and trial experience in both traditional labor matters such as arbitration, N.L.R.B. proceedings, strike and picketing injunctive actions and Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) proceedings before state and local administrative agencies and federal and state courts.
Areas of Concentration
· Collective bargaining negotiations and arbitration
· Union organizing/representation
· EEO litigation
· Real estate transactional issues
· Drafting of employment agreements/severance and release agreements/non-compete and non-solicit agreements
· Wage and hour litigation
Professional & Community Involvement
· Ethics Board Member, Village of Atlantic Beach, New York
· Member, American Bar Association; Labor and Employment Section
· Member, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law - Management, 2012-2014
· Listed, Chambers USA Guide, 2012-2013
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, New York Super Lawyers, 2006-2007, 2011-2013
· Team Member, a Law360 "Employment Practice Group of the Year," 2011
· Listed, AVENUE magazine, "Legal Elite," Real Estate, April 2011
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Quoted, "New type of hiring discrimination claim in works," Business Insurance, February 28, 2011
· Author, "Do You Know How to Act? (CRA, FMLA and FLSA)," The Business Owner, March and April 2003
· Author, "NLRB Not Entitled to Injunction Directing NYC Property Management Company to Bargain with Incumbent Union"
· Speaker, "2013 FMLA Master Class for Illinois Employers: Overcoming Compliance and Employee Leave Challenges," BLR, Chicago, IL, September 12, 2013
· Panelist, "How To Handle An Employment Discrimination Case," New York County Lawyers Association, May 2011
· Panelist, "Cooks and Cases: Celebrity Chefs, Contracts & Laws - Straight From the Kitchen," American Bar Association Forum on the Entertainment and Sports Industries, October 14, 2011
· Speaker, "Dealing With Building Employees," New York County Lawyers' Association, March 3, 2010
· Q&A Session, "Bound by Union Agreement," The New York Times, September 21, 2012
· Quoted, "Rewarding the Crew Aboard a Sinking Ship," The New York Times, May 20, 2001