Jerrold F. Goldberg has been practicing in virtually all aspects of labor and employment law since 1979, including the traditional labor/union-management area, employment discrimination, executive employment, severance agreements and wage and hour laws.
He represents management clients in diverse enterprises, including the health care, entertainment, hotel, restaurant, building service, construction, retail and service industries in matters ranging from state and federal administrative proceedings, drafting personnel policy manuals, and discrimination issues such as sexual harassment and the Americans with Disabilities Act, to employment agreements and restrictive covenant litigation.
He has extensive experience representing virtually all aspects of union avoidance and organizational work, as well as substantial motion and trial experience in both traditional labor matters such as arbitration, N.L.R.B. proceedings, strike and picketing injunctive actions and Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) proceedings before state and local administrative agencies and federal and state courts.
Jerry handled the labor and employment aspects for what Real Estate Bisnow referenced as two of the three early 2015 billion-dollar New York City commercial real estate/hospitality industry deals, and the largest midtown south residential sale of 2014.
Areas of Concentration
• Collective bargaining negotiations and arbitration
• Union organizing/representation
• EEO litigation
• Real estate transactional issues
• Drafting of employment agreements/severance and release agreements/non-compete and non-solicit agreements
• Wage and hour litigation
Awards & Recognition
• Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law - Management, 2012-2016
• Listed, The Legal 500 United States, Labor and Employment - Labor and Employment Litigation, 2015
• Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, New York Metro Super Lawyers, 2006-2007, 2011-2015
• Listed, Chambers USA Guide, 2012-2013
• Team Member, a Law360 Employment Practice Group of the Year, 2011 & 2013
• Listed, AVENUE magazine, Legal Elite, Real Estate, April 2011
• Rated, AV Preeminent 5.0 out of 5
AV, BV, AV Preeminent and BV Distinguished are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used under in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.
Associated News & Events
10.21.15 74 Greenberg Traurig New York Attorneys Recognized in 2015 Edition of New York Metro Super Lawyers
08.19.15 30 Greenberg Traurig New York Attorneys Included in the 2016 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
06.18.15 Greenberg Traurig Represents LaPlaya Beach Resort and LaPlaya Beach Club in Acquisition by Pebblebrook Hotel Trust
06.08.15 100-Plus Greenberg Traurig Attorneys Recommended in The Legal 500 United States 2015 Guide to Outstanding Lawyers
05.05.15 Greenberg Traurig Represents Longtime Client Invesco Real Estate in Sale Of New York City's Iconic ' Helmsley Building'
09.24.14 65 Greenberg Traurig New York Attorneys Recognized in 2014 Edition of New York Metro Super Lawyers
08.21.14 29 Greenberg Traurig New York Attorneys Included in 2015 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
08.21.13 27 Greenberg Traurig New York Attorneys Included in 2014 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America
06.04.13 2013 Edition of Chambers USA Guide Recognizes Greenberg Traurig New York Attorneys
05.28.13 Chambers USA Guide 2013 Includes 171 Greenberg Traurig Attorneys, 33 Practice Areas
06.01.15 Health & FDA Business Bulletin
02.05.15 Court Voids Labor Department's Overtime Requirement and Narrowing of the 'Companionship' Exemption
11.10.14 Is Obesity the Next Pivotal Employment Discrimination Issue Within the European Union?
04.04.14 Welcome to ESTA: New York City's 'Earned Sick Time Act' Comes into Effect, DCA Proposes New Rules
10.11.13 New York City Extends Human Rights Law to Pregnant Women with 'Pregnant Workers Fairness Act'
04.08.09 Supreme Court Rules Employers May Compel Union Employees to Arbitrate Discrimination Claims
10.01.05 Employee Complaints to Customers
06.01.03 FMLA Compliance Expanded to State Agencies
Articles, Publications, & Lectures
• Quoted, New type of hiring discrimination claim in works, Business Insurance, February 28, 2011
• Author, Do You Know How to Act? (CRA, FMLA and FLSA), The Business Owner, March and April 2003
• Author, NLRB Not Entitled to Injunction Directing NYC Property Management Company to Bargain with Incumbent Union
• Speaker, Wage & Hour 2015 Master Class, Business & Legal Resources, Chicago, IL, May 20, 2015
• Speaker, 2013 FMLA Master Class for Illinois Employers: Overcoming Compliance and Employee Leave Challenges, BLR, Chicago, IL, September 12, 2013
• Panelist, How To Handle An Employment Discrimination Case, New York County Lawyers Association, May 2011
• Panelist, Cooks and Cases: Celebrity Chefs, Contracts & Laws - Straight From the Kitchen, American Bar Association Forum on the Entertainment and Sports Industries, October 14, 2011
• Speaker, Dealing With Building Employees, New York County Lawyers' Association, March 3, 2010
• Q&A Session, Bound by Union Agreement, The New York Times, September 21, 2012
• Quoted, Rewarding the Crew Aboard a Sinking Ship, The New York Times, May 20, 2001