Cliccare qui per la versione italiana
Jim leads the firm's US Real Estate practice which handles both residential and commercial transactions, particularly for foreign real estate investors and for organizations in the commercial, non-profit, luxury, hotel and art sectors.
Jim combines his experience from his 14 years as the Associate General Counsel for Yale University to provide clients in the non-profit world with advice on real estate, endowment and commercial engagements of many kinds.
Jim is also a member of our US Italian Desk working closely with our commercial team in the US and our offices in Milan and Padua to assist with cross-border commercial and real estate transactions and acting as liaison with our Italian clients and investors interested in Italy.
• $100 million financing for New York healthcare organization.
• Drafting retail, office and ground leases for US and foreign art galleries, museums, luxury fashion and other tenants.
• Structuring and closing luxury residential transactions, including one of the largest sales recorded in US history.
• Represented foreign investor in acquisition of key stake in prime Boston retail property.
• Represented Italian company in acquisition of South Carolina factory.
• Advised international retailer on US leasing.
Publications and speaking engagements
• Speaker, Commercial Real Estate Financing 2013, Practising Law Institute, February 2013.
• Co-Author, New Italian Tax on Foreign Real Estate, Withers Bergman LLP Briefing Note, March 2012.
• Presenter, Legal Aspects and Transactions of the Townhouse Market, Leslie Garfield Real Estate, March 2012.
• Presenter, Representing the Foreign Buyer, Stribling & Associates, March 2012.
• Presenter, Inbound Foreign Investors, Eastside Owners Association, February 2012.
• Moderator, Families, Family Offices and Real Estate, New York Real Estate Expo, November 2011.
• Author of Owning US Real Estate: Depressed US Real Estate Yields a Rare Second Chance at Proper Structuring, Offshore Investment, October 2011.
• Panelist, Moving Across the Pond: Legal Considerations for Expanding to New York, London to NYC Forum sponsored by New York City Economic Development Corporation, December 2010.
• Co-Presenter, Foreign Investment in US Real Estate: Challenges and Opportunities, New York Real Estate Expo, November 2010.
• Co-Presenter, Issues for Foreign Investors in US Real Estate, to the New York State Society of CPA's Real Estate Committee on July 2010.
• Co-Host, Greenwich Entrepreneur Radio Program, WGCH 1490 AM (Greenwich).
• Mixed Use Projects-Public/Private Partnerships, Annual Meeting of National Association of College and University Lawyers, Toronto, June 2009.
• Mining Silver From a Gray - Real Estate Market: Hidden Value in Leases, GC New England, Second Quarter 2009.
• Cornell University, The University as a Participant in Real Estate Markets - guest lecturer, January 2009.
• Yale University, Yale Law School - Co-taught in Housing & Community Development Clinic Fall 1995-Spring 1997; guest lecturer in subsequent years.
• Yale University, School of Forestry and Environmental Sciences - Co-taught graduate course, Strategies for Land Conservation: Law, Finance and Management at Yale Spring 2003-04; Guest lecturer in subsequent years.
• Columbia University - Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation; guest lecturer - Affordable Housing Development 2002-Present.
• Yale Business Managers Institute- Taught two hour training session on legal issues in procurement for Yale executives several times each year.
• College and University Investments, National Association of College and University Attorneys Annual Meeting, New York, NY June 25, 2008.
• Compliance by Affiliated Foundations and Other Related Entities, National Association of College and University Attorneys Semi-Annual Meeting, Boston, MA, April 20, 2007.
• You Want to Do What, Where?: Start-ups On and Around Campus, National Association of College and University Attorneys Semi-Annual Meeting, Washington D.C., November 1, 2002.
• The Use of Affiliated Entities by Private Universities: Challenges and Opportunities in Governance, Conflicts of Interest, and Liability Limitation, National Association of College and University Attorneys Annual Meeting, Washington D.C., June 2000.
On a personal note
Jim enjoys cooking in his free time. His wife says that's because he does so little of it.
James M. Carolan visit superlawyers.com
News & publications
Nuova imposta sugli immobili detenuti all'estero
New Italian Tax on Foreign Real Estate
Mandatory Reporting Obligation for Non-US Direct Investments in US Business Enterprises
Millstone or hidden gem: profiting from your premises
Novita Primavera/Spring 2010
Il mercato immobiliare statunitense attrae gli investitori italiani
Mining Silver From a Gray Real Estate Market: Hidden Value in Leases
NYC Hospital Secures $100MM Bank Loan
Community foundations - a U.S. concept making a difference in U.K. philanthropy
The real story on U.S. real estate
Native American art & artifacts: is there a rightful owner?
Year became partner:2006 (Also at New York, New York and New Haven Offices)