Jim leads the firm's US Real Estate practice which handles both residential and commercial transactions, particularly for foreign real estate investors and for organizations in the commercial, non-profit, luxury, hotel and art sectors.
Jim combines his experience from his 14 years as the Associate General Counsel for Yale University to provide clients in the non-profit world with advice on real estate, endowment and commercial engagements of many kinds.
Jim is also a member of our US Italian Desk working closely with our commercial team in the US and our offices in Milan and Padua to assist with cross-border commercial and real estate transactions and acting as liaison with our Italian clients and investors interested in Italy.
• $100 million financing for New York healthcare organization.
• Drafting retail, office and ground leases for US and foreign art galleries, museums, luxury fashion and other tenants.
• Structuring and closing luxury residential transactions, including one of the largest sales recorded in US history.
• Represented foreign investor in acquisition of key stake in prime Boston retail property.
• Represented Italian company in acquisition of South Carolina factory.
• Advised international retailer on US leasing.
Publications and speaking engagements
• Speaker, Commercial Real Estate Financing 2013, Practising Law Institute, February 2013.
• Co-Author, New Italian Tax on Foreign Real Estate, Withers Bergman LLP Briefing Note, March 2012.
• Presenter, Legal Aspects and Transactions of the Townhouse Market, Leslie Garfield Real Estate, March 2012.
• Presenter, Representing the Foreign Buyer, Stribling & Associates, March 2012.
• Presenter, Inbound Foreign Investors, Eastside Owners Association, February 2012.
• Moderator, Families, Family Offices and Real Estate, New York Real Estate Expo, November 2011.
• Author of Owning US Real Estate: Depressed US Real Estate Yields a Rare Second Chance at Proper Structuring, Offshore Investment, October 2011.
• Panelist, Moving Across the Pond: Legal Considerations for Expanding to New York, London to NYC Forum sponsored by New York City Economic Development Corporation, December 2010.
• Co-Presenter, Foreign Investment in US Real Estate: Challenges and Opportunities, New York Real Estate Expo, November 2010.
• Co-Presenter, Issues for Foreign Investors in US Real Estate, to the New York State Society of CPA's Real Estate Committee on July 2010.
• Co-Host, Greenwich Entrepreneur Radio Program, WGCH 1490 AM (Greenwich).
• Mixed Use Projects-Public/Private Partnerships, Annual Meeting of National Association of College and University Lawyers, Toronto, June 2009.
• Mining Silver From a Gray - Real Estate Market: Hidden Value in Leases, GC New England, Second Quarter 2009.
• Cornell University, The University as a Participant in Real Estate Markets - guest lecturer, January 2009.
• Yale University, Yale Law School - Co-taught in Housing & Community Development Clinic Fall 1995-Spring 1997; guest lecturer in subsequent years.
• Yale University, School of Forestry and Environmental Sciences - Co-taught graduate course, Strategies for Land Conservation: Law, Finance and Management at Yale Spring 2003-04; Guest lecturer in subsequent years.
• Columbia University - Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation; guest lecturer - Affordable Housing Development 2002-Present.
• Yale Business Managers Institute- Taught two hour training session on legal issues in procurement for Yale executives several times each year.
• College and University Investments, National Association of College and University Attorneys Annual Meeting, New York, NY June 25, 2008.
• Compliance by Affiliated Foundations and Other Related Entities, National Association of College and University Attorneys Semi-Annual Meeting, Boston, MA, April 20, 2007.
• You Want to Do What, Where?: Start-ups On and Around Campus, National Association of College and University Attorneys Semi-Annual Meeting, Washington D.C., November 1, 2002.
• The Use of Affiliated Entities by Private Universities: Challenges and Opportunities in Governance, Conflicts of Interest, and Liability Limitation, National Association of College and University Attorneys Annual Meeting, Washington D.C., June 2000.
On a personal note
Jim enjoys cooking in his free time. His wife says that's because he has so little of it.
Year became partner
News & publications
•Nuova imposta sugli immobili detenuti all'estero
•New Italian Tax on Foreign Real Estate
•Mandatory Reporting Obligation for Non-US Direct Investments in US Business Enterprises
•Millstone or hidden gem: profiting from your premises
•Novita Primavera/Spring 2010
•Il mercato immobiliare statunitense attrae gli investitori italiani
•Mining Silver From a Gray Real Estate Market: Hidden Value in Leases
•NYC Hospital Secures $100MM Bank Loan
•Community foundations - a U.S. concept making a difference in U.K. philanthropy
•The real story on U.S. real estate
•Native American art & artifacts: is there a “rightful” owner?
(Also at New York, New York and New Haven Offices)