Joel Hagyard is a partner at Lindsay Kenney LLP. As a lawyer in our Langley BC office, Joel's primary areas of practice include real estate and banking law, corporate/commercial law, and wills and estates.
In his extensive experience in real estate and secured lending transactions, Mr. Hagyard represents buyers and sellers of commercial and residential real estate, and advises real estate developers on condominium development and subdivision matters. He also acts for landlords and tenants regarding commercial tenancies, and for institutional and private lenders and corporate borrowers on commercial lending transactions.
Focusing on small to mid-sized private companies, Joel assists clients in LK Law's Langley office with general corporate and commercial issues such as those relating to establishing business structures, corporate governance and corporate acquisitions. He also practices extensively in the areas of wills and estate planning, trusts, estate administration, and dependent adult matters, helping clients with succession planning for personal and business assets, and incapacity planning. Mr. Hagyard also advises executors and administrators of their legal obligations and duties relating to the administration of estates.
Joel's specific areas of interest include:
- Acting for residential housing developers and builders constructing single-family homes, townhouses and condominiums in their negotiations with home buyers.
- Representing developers and builders of new industrial and commercial construction.
- Assisting commercial landlords and tenants with commercial tenancy matters.
- Handling estate and trust administration matters, including applications for probate and letters of administration.
- Assisting individuals with succession planning for personal and business assets, and incapacity planning.
- Representing business owners in all types of general corporate work, such as establishing business structures (incorporations, partnerships, proprietorships), corporate governance and corporate acquisitions.
- Assisting buyers and sellers of businesses.
- Acting for financial institutional, private lenders and corporate borrowers in commercial lending transactions.
A frequent presenter at public events, to private institutions, and in the charitable sector, Joel speaks on estate planning, real estate transactions and commercial transactions. Born in Winnipeg, he lived in communities throughout Western Canada before moving to the Lower Mainland in 1982. He still enjoys spending his summer vacation on Lake Athapapuskow, near Flin Flon, Manitoba. Out of the office, Joel enjoys playing hockey and a good round of golf.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Canadian Bar Association: Business Law, Real Estate, Wills & Estates and Secured lending sub-sections
- Former Director and Secretary, Big Brothers Sisters of Langley, 2002 to 2009.
- Member, Langley Chamber of Commerce.
- Acquisition of a minority interest, for management group, in a leading BC civil infrastructure contractor (2012)
- Sale transaction for the vendors of a MURB (multiple unit residential building) investment - 11.5 million (2012)
- Acted for the owners and developers of a 103 lot subdivision with respect to the subdivision, development and sale of the property in a $22 million sale transaction (2012)
- Represented the shareholders of a professional firm in relation to a shareholders dispute and buy-out of a departing shareholder (2012)
- 6 million dollar secured lending transaction involving restructuring security over a distressed 52 lot development property (2012)