Joel concentrates on corporate, commercial, and securities matters as well as strategic transactions and corporate structuring. He is a member of the firm's Opinions Committee and has also served as a member of the firm's Policy Committee.
He has extensive experience counseling high-technology businesses and the individuals creating them. He frequently guides acquisitions, collaborations, and licensing transactions in the life sciences industry. As more life sciences companies have extended their activities from discovery to development, his practice has been more involved with development and later stage activity.
Joel has also functioned as counsel for several publicly and privately held companies in various industries, including media, software, packaged and consumer goods, apparel, financial, packaging, and real estate. In addition to guiding numerous domestic mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, and public offerings to successful conclusions, he has served as US counsel to several overseas firms in connection with establishing operations, their conduct of public offerings, and their acquisitions in the United States.
In the mergers and acquisitions area, Joel has led the acquisitions of public and private companies in media, marketing, apparel, life sciences, medical device, and other industries, and has represented numerous public and private sellers of entire enterprises, divisions, or subsidiaries. He has also been involved in acquiring businesses in Chapter 11 proceedings and has directed several corporate reorganizations.
He has served as counsel to many boards of directors and special committees, and advised investment bankers on a myriad of matters, including representing them in their roles as financial advisors and managing underwriters.
Joel is a frequent lecturer on topics such as underwriting public offerings of securities, corporate compliance, financings, acquiring and selling firms, fairness opinions, biotech-to-biotech acquisitions and dispositions, private placements, and legal opinion matters.
• Mintz Levin's Joel Papernik to Present on Shareholder Activism at New York BIO 25th Anniversary Conference, (04.29.2015)
• Twenty-Four Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2014 New York Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (10.03.2014)
• Sixty-Two Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2015 Edition, (08.18.2014)
• Eighteen Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2013 New York Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (09.16.2013)
• Sixty-Three Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2014 Edition, (08.15.2013)
• Mintz Levin's Joel Papernik to Chair Panel at New York Biotechnology Association Annual Meeting, (05.28.2013)
• Twenty-Four Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2012 New York Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (09.20.2012)
• Sixty Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2013 Edition, (08.24.2012)
• Mintz Levin's Joel Papernik to be Featured at NYBA 21st Annual Meeting in NYC, (04.13.2012)
• Quoted in Opportunities in China, India Have Legal, Regulatory Hurdles, BioWorld Today (11.10.2011)
• Forty-Three Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2012 Edition, (09.06.2011)
• Mintz Levin Attorney Joel Papernik to Present at New York Biotechnology Annual Meeting, (03.22.2011)
• Mintz Levin Represents Cyclacel Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in $15.2 Million Financing, (10.13.2010)
• Eighteen Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2010 New York Super Lawyers, (09.29.2010)
• Thirty-Nine Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2011 Edition, (08.11.2010)
• Mintz Levin Represents Cyclacel Pharmaceuticals in $3.4 Million Offering, (07.31.2009)
• Thirty-One Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2010 Edition, (07.31.2009)
• Three Mintz Levin Attorneys to Lead Panel Discussions at 2009 BIO International Convention and BIO Human Resources Conference in Atlanta, (05.12.2009)
• Twenty-Nine Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2009 Edition, (01.21.2009)
• Eight Mintz Levin Attorneys Named New York Super Lawyers, (10.01.2008)
• Ten Mintz Levin Attorneys Named New York Metro Super Lawyers, (09.24.2007)
• Quoted in Board Focus for M&A, Corporate Board Member (07.03.2007)
• Peter A. Chavkin and Joel I. Papernik Named 2007 New York Area's Best Lawyers, (07.02.2007)
• Author, Activism: An Overview from the Company Perspective, Securities Advisory (09.26.2014)
• Author, Shareholder Activism: An Overview from the Company Perspective, National Law Review (09.26.2014)
• Moderator, Preparing For and Addressing Activist Shareholders, NewYorkBIO 25th Anniversary Conference, New York, NY (05.04.2015)
• Speaker, Preparing for and Addressing Activist Shareholders: The Valeant/Pershing Square Bid for Allergan, The Association of Corporate Counsel's Northeast Chapter (03.10.2015)
• Speaker, Use of the Federal Securities Laws in Shareholder Activist Litigation, New York State Bar Association's Securities Regulation Committee, Albany, NY (12.10.2014)
• Speaker, Preparing for the Sale of a Company, New York Biotechnology Association 21st Annual Meeting, NYBA, New York, NY (05.02.2012)
• Speaker, International Biotechnology: Emerging Trends from China and India, BioWorld, Webinar (10.27.2011)
• Chair, From Kickoff to Closing: Taking Steps to Sell or Go Public, NYBA Annual Meeting: The Cures Start Here Because the Science Starts Here, Association of Latino Professionals in Finance and Accounting, New York, NY (04.06.2011)
• Panelist, Creative Funding Sources at Every Stage: Thinking Outside the Box, Biotech Capital Breakfast, ACG New York, Tarrytown, NY (01.21.2011)
Recognitions & Awards
•New York Super Lawyers: Mergers & Acquisitions (2006 - 2014)
•Best Lawyers in America: Corporate Law (1993 - 2015)
•Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent