Joel Wertman, a shareholder in the firm's Philadelphia office, maintains a general litigation practice with primary focus on disputes in the securities, insurance and real estate industries. He has represented clients in a wide range of litigation matters to include public customer disputes in state court, federal court and arbitration, as well as employment disputes seeking monetary and injunctive relief in state and federal courts.
In 2003 Joel was admitted to the Pennsylvania Bar. He received his undergraduate degree in English from Johns Hopkins University where he was also the captain and a four-year member of the men's varsity basketball team. Joel received his juris doctor from Temple University where he was also editor in chief of the Environmental Law and Technology Journal and a member of Temple's mock trial team. While attending law school, Joel worked as a summer associate at Marshall Dennehey and also as a summer clerk for the Honorable Charles Smith, federal judge for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
Significant Representative Matters
· Dismissal of NASD (now FINRA) Complaint prior to hearing in customer dispute alleging unsuitable recommendations as to surrender and exchange of annuity products.
· Award of zero damages for FINRA dispute related to alleged damages stemming from recommendation of annuity products.
· Numerous successful arguments in federal court with respect to requests for injunctive relief on behalf of broker dealer clients.
· Participated in successful defense of numerous matters with significant exposure to include defense verdict in claim for damages for alleged investment advices related to participation in business entities which were outside business activities of the registered representative.
· "Covenants Not To Compete: Why You May Not Be Able To Work For Your Employer's Competitors," agentsofamerica.org, December, 2007
· "A Time For Change: Recent Alterations to the NASD Code Will Affect The Litigation Process and Defense Costs for Public Customer Arbitrations," Defense Digest, September, 2007
· "Selling To And Advising Seniors," agentsofamerica.org, September, 2007
· "Avoiding The Wrath Of The SEC: A Broker Dealer Refresher As To Preservation Of Records," PLUS Journal, February, 2007
· "The Importance Of The Brownfields Revitalization And Economic Restoration Act," Temple Environmental Law and Technology Journal, Spring, 2002
Associations & Memberships
· American Bar Association
· Pennsylvania Bar Association
· Philadelphia Bar Association
Year Joined Organization: 2002
Non-signatory third party to arbitration clause is compelled to arbitrate securities case.
Law Alerts · January 11, 2013
The plaintiffs filed a FINRA arbitration against a broker dealer and its registered representative while filing a contemporaneous New Jersey state court action against an accounting firm. Both actions stemmed from the alleged recommendation to..., Case Law Alert - 1st Quarter 2013
FINRA's New Suitability Rule and the Important Changes for Members to Ensure Best Practices
Defense Digest Article · September 1, 2012
Key Points: FINRA adopted a new suitability standard effective July 9, 2012. The new rule includes expanded guidance with respect to reasonable basis, recommended transactions or investment strategies and the customer's investment..., Defense Digest, Vol. 18, No. 3, September 2012
FINRA To Adopt New Discovery Rules on an Accelerated Basis: How the Burden on Defending Parties Is Soon to Increase
Defense Digest Article · September 1, 2011
Federal - Securities & Investments, Key Points: Changes to the FINRA Discovery Guide applicable to public customer disputes will alter parties' discovery obligations in the near future. The new Guide will modify the original 14 lists of presumptively discoverable..., Defense Digest, Vol. 17, No. 3, September 2011
Marshall Dennehey Warner Coleman & Goggin Elects New Shareholders
December 14, 2012
Philadelphia, PA - Marshall Dennehey Warner Coleman & Goggin is pleased to announce that the following 13 attorneys were elected shareholders at the Annual Shareholders' Meeting on December 11, 2012: Christopher Boyle, Esq.; James Lare, Esq.; Thomas Marcoz, Esq.; Brian McNulty, Esq.; Raymond...