An experienced transactions lawyer, John represents clients primarily in securities and corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions, and investment management.
In his practice, he provides counsel to registered open and closed-end funds, unregistered investment vehicles, their sponsors and advisers, and assists investment advisers with structuring and registering and with ongoing regulatory compliance matters. John also assists public companies with registration under the Securities Act of 1933, reporting and compliance obligations under the Securities Exchange Act, the Investment Company Act of 1940 and others as required by securities exchanges. John also advises companies, their officers and boards of directors on corporate governance compliance and best practices and other global corporate compliance matters.
John also has represented issuers in private placements of debt and equity securities, including preparation of private placement memoranda and federal and state securities law compliance matters. He assists start-ups and publicly held companies in raising capital through the sale of securities in private and public offerings.
John is an adjunct professor of law at Creighton University School of Law, teaching securities regulation.
Before law school, John earned his green belt Six Sigma certification while a lean leader at General Electric Healthcare. John also was a unit leader with Nestle Waters North America. Additionally, John was an officer in the U.S. Army, where he served as a tank platoon leader, mortar platoon leader and personnel company commander.
Professional Associations & Memberships
· American Bar Association, Business Law Section
· Iowa State Bar Association
· Nebraska State Bar Association
· Omaha Bar Association, Executive Council, 2011-present; Law Day Committee, Co-chair, 2009-present
· Rotary Club of West Omaha
· Society of Corporate Secretaries and Governance Professionals, Rocky Mountain Chapter, Advisory Committee
· Notre Dame Club of Omaha, President, 2008-2010; Board of Directors, 2008-present
· Assisted structuring and registration of several closed-end investment companies that elected to be business development companies under the Investment Company Act of 1940, with investments in growth state private companies, small cap public companies and renewable energy entities
· Assisted structuring and preparation of offering documents for numerous private funds with varying strategies
· Advised an energy company in multiple rounds of capital raising
News & Publications
8.29.11, Husch Blackwell Associate Elected to Omaha Bar Association's Executive Council
4.12.11, SEC will issue rules regarding Investment Adviser registration under Dodd-Frank by July 21, 2011, but will likely delay registration until first quarter of 2012
4.1.08, SEC Adopts Amendments to Rule 144 & Rule 145, The Nebraska Lawyer