- Debt Finance & Capital Markets
- Real Estate
- Acquisitions and Dispositions
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Food and Agriculture
|University ||University of Connecticut, B.A., cum laude, 1968|
|Law School||University of Connecticut, J.D., with honors, 1972; Boston University, LL.M., 1974|
|Admitted||New York; Connecticut|
American College of Mortgage Attorneys
American College of Real Estate Lawyers
Connecticut Bar Association
New York Bar Association
|Born||Manchester, Connecticut, 1946|
John works with institutional investors such as life insurance companies and pension funds in making U.S. and international investments in commercial real estate and natural resource assets, including equity, debt and hybrid interests. Debt transactions may be private placements of notes or mortgage loans, and include senior, subordinated and mezzanine financings. He also represents owners in leasing, developing, and operating real estate, as well as acquisitions and sales.
Besides commercial real estate, John's practice includes significant transactions in debt and equity investments in timber and natural resource assets.
• John has represented lender consortiums in two different One Billion plus loans secured by timber assets in multiple states.
• John represented a life insurance company on related loans in excess of $100 Million secured by multiple industrial buildings in 3 states.
• John represented a lender in a $75 million mortgage loan secured by a New York City mixed use condominium, which included a cooperative residential apartment, commercial, retail and recreational units.
• In a deal involving a $100 million timber and coal loan, John represented co-lenders where the mortgages on timber assets were released in return for a pledge of Borrower's stock in the initial public offering of the coal assets.
• John represented a client involved in a $100 million timberlands acquisition by a pension fund in a joint venture with an experienced manager/operator.
• John regularly represents life insurance companies in making and administering mortgage loans and handling troubled mortgage loans, in both the commercial and agricultural real estate markets.
• John handles a wide variety of office and industrial leases for a variety of owners in New York and New England, including the leasing of REO.
Before Edwards Wildman
After starting out at Connecticut General Life Insurance Company which included experience in each unit of the legal department, John spent 15 years with a real estate investment boutique law firm he co-founded. John was also a partner at another firm for 6 years before joining Edwards & Angell.
View Ratings & Reviews
|Profile Visibility |
|#350 in weekly profile views out of 4,335 lawyers in Hartford, Connecticut|
|#118,117 in weekly profile views out of 1,538,052 total lawyers Overall|