- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Appellate Proceedings
- Real Estate and Title Insurance Litigation
- Business Litigation
- Class Actions
- Product Liability Defense
|University ||University of Colorado, B.A., with distinction, 1974 Phi Beta Kappa|
|Law School||Case Western University School of Law, J.D., 1977|
|Admitted||1977, Ohio; United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio; United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio; United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit; United States Supreme Court|
|Born||New York, New York, April 24, 1952|
John Fairweather represents clients in complex business litigation, principally in the areas of breach of contract, fraud, deceptive trade practices and tortious conduct in the commercial setting. John is knowledgeable in all facets of complex case litigation (from case management and organization through the appellate process) and is experienced in cases where intellectual property is a substantial component. He has litigated controversies in state and federal courts around the country and has conducted extensive discovery overseas in Japan and Belgium. John routinely represents or litigates against national and international corporations. Except for the period from 1989-1993, when he was a partner in the General Litigation Group at Jones Day in Cleveland, John has spent his entire career as a business litigator at Brouse McDowell.
John is AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated through Martindale-Hubbell.
Professional & Civic Activities
· John is a member of the Akron, Ohio State and Federal Bar Associations and a graduate of Leadership Akron, Class III. John serves on the Akron General Medical Center, Board of Trustees and previously served on the AGMC Professional Affairs Committee.
· He is a member of the Board of Trustees for Bluecoats Incorporated. John is a member of the Ohio Supreme Court Board of Commissioners on Character and Fitness, as well as a member of the Mediation Panel for the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio.
· Successfully defended a large international manufacturer in two separate class actions in federal court (S.D. Fla. and S.D. Cal.)
· Represented plaintiff against defendant-class for declaratory judgment with regard to the dissolution of a national partnership formed to sponsor research in the fields of cellular and molecular biology
· Represented plaintiff in its claim for breach of contract and patent infringement involving complex scientific questions concerning the characterization of low molecular weight polymers
· Represented corporate plaintiff in obtaining an injunction preventing the enforcement of Ohio's Control Share Acquisition Act
· Represented major local banking institution and former officers in "prime rate"/RICO actions
· Conducted highly sensitive, internal investigation on behalf of a financial institution to uncover fraudulent and/or criminal activities by its employees
· Defended global electronics company against claims of fraud and breach of warranty brought in a high-profile case in state court
· Ohio Super Lawyer through a peer- and achievement-based review conducted by the research team at Super Lawyers, a service of Thompson Reuters legal division - 2012-2013
View Ratings & Reviews
|Profile Visibility |
|#131 in weekly profile views out of 1,734 lawyers in Akron, Ohio|
|#140,279 in weekly profile views out of 1,500,634 total lawyers Overall|