John Frey is a partner in the Litigation Department of Edwards Wildman. John has a breadth and depth of experience litigating and consulting his clients on a variety of complex commercial litigation matters, including antitrust, bankruptcy, contract, environmental, CERCLA private cost recovery actions, insurance, and securities. In addition to his litigation practice, John also conducts internal corporate investigations for large national and international corporations. During his three decades in practice, he has tried cases in both state and federal courts as well as negotiated significant settlements on behalf of his corporate clients. A skilled litigator, John is particularly talented at motion practice and appellate work.
· As co-lead counsel, represented debtor hospital in complex adversary proceedings in Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Illinois, to recover tens of millions of dollars in fraudulent transfers from multiple parties. Case was recently tried and the decision is pending. Wrote and argued an appeal in the Seventh Circuit on a contested settlement with other parties. Argued successful appeal in the Seventh Circuit. Doctors Hospital of Hyde Park v. Desnick.
· Conducted court-ordered international compliance audit of Archer Daniels Midland's practices and procedures, which included extensive interviews of ADM personnel in the United States, Europe, Latin America, and Asia
· Ongoing representation of CNA and AIG insurance companies in suit challenging constitutionality of premium surcharges; obtained injunctions freezing insurance premium payments pending disposition of the case, Illinois Chamber of Commerce v. Filan, Illinois Circuit Court, Chicago
· Successfully challenged court's personal jurisdiction over a British company in several asbestos cases; some cases were won on motions to dismiss, while others were voluntarily dismissed by the plaintiffs, Charter plc Asbestos Litigation, Illinois Circuit Court, Bloomington
· Conducted internal investigation into alleged kickbacks for a private multinational corporation; interviewed numerous individuals and directed forensic accounting firm in review of computer and paper records
· Badger v. Boulevard Bank Corp., 970 F.2d 410 (7th Cir. 1992)
· Coltman v. C.I.R., 980 F.2d 1134 (7th Cir. 1992)
· LaSalle Bank v. Doctors Hospital of Hyde Park, 2005 WL 1766370 (N.D. Ill.)
· Doctors Hospital of Hyde Park v. Desnick, 2007 WL 79701 (7th Cir. 2007)