John Poetker is Counsel in our Calgary office. Mr. Poetker was admitted to the Alberta Bar in 1982. He graduated from the University of Ottawa in 1982 (cum laude). Prior to that he obtained his Bachelor of Arts degree from Carleton University in 1977 with a major in Economics.
Areas of Practice
· Mr. Poetker's current practice in the corporate and securities area evolved from a broad spectrum of legal experience in his early years, including litigation, acting for employers in labour relations matters, oil and gas, banking, and commercial and corporate matters.
· He was a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police for 13 years, receiving his discharge in April, 1981. His experience in the force consisted of general detachment work in Saskatchewan, administrative responsibilities in the Commercial Crime Branch in Ottawa and Commercial Crime Investigation in Alberta. This background developed the practical common-sense approach brought by him to complex matters.
· Representative matters handled by John include:
· advising both multinational and small business in corporate and commercial matters and in the negotiation of and drafting of agreements related thereto;
· co-advising and acting on behalf of major contractors with respect to public private partnership construction contracts and initiatives;
· both debt and equity financing matters of varying magnitudes;
· acquisition and disposition of oil and gas interests;
· takeovers of publicly traded companies;
· acting as counsel to publicly traded oil and gas companies;
· corporate restructuring involving sophisticated butterfly transactions and the restructuring of security;
· reorganization of corporate groups including creating and restructuring corporations, partnerships and limited partnerships within the group;
· acting for lenders in financing of various kinds of business including oil and gas;
· incorporations, shareholder agreements, amalgamations, winding up and liquidations, reorganizations;
· asset/share purchase and sale agreements, trust deeds and security issues.