A partner with the Firm since 1986, John Whitlock has more than thirty years experience representing lenders, indenture trustees, and borrowers in secured and unsecured financing transactions, including syndicated bank loans, stand-by letters of credit, securitization transactions, and subordinated and senior bonds, including tax-exempt bonds. He has also represented creditors, trustees, creditors' committees, and debtors in bankruptcy and workout matters, including transactions involving the purchase or sale of assets by or from insolvent companies in or outside of bankruptcy, the reorganization of business organizations and restructuring of debt including foreclosures on collateral by secured creditors including indenture trustees. He has also advised bankers and other lenders on compliance with consumer banking and consumer disclosure laws. John has been listed by The Best Lawyers in America in Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights Law for over 20 years.
· Acted as a bankruptcy trustee and as an examiner in cases under the Bankruptcy Code.
· Represented a publicly held energy company and its principal subsidiaries in public bond (taxable and tax exempt) and syndicated loan financings.
· Represented a publicly held energy company in a $2.6 billion project financing for the development of two electric power plants.
· Represented an indenture trustee in bankruptcy proceedings of an energy and waste disposal company and its operating subsidiaries.
· Represented banks and other institutional lenders in financings secured by federal government receivables.
· Represented an indenture trustee of debt secured by aircraft in the bankruptcy reorganization of two major airlines, including foreclosures and sales of aircraft, and restructuring of publicly financed and privately financed aircraft.
· Represented banks and other lenders in syndicated loan financing for energy services company.
· Represented a state in connection with a municipal bankruptcy proceeding under Chapter 9.
Energy & Cleantech
Banking & Financial Institutions
Aviation and Aerospace
American Bar Association
Boston Bar Association, Member - Bankruptcy Law Section, Business Law Section (former co-chair), Ethics Committee (former chair)
American Bankruptcy Institute
Chair, Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court's Standing Advisory Committee on Rules of Professional Conduct
Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers