John is a trial lawyer with over 40 years of experience in litigating patent, trademark, antitrust, corporate, and employment matters for companies throughout the United States. He is also an experienced mediator and arbitrator.
In addition to litigation, John's intellectual property practice includes counseling clients, including a major pharmaceutical manufacturer, on patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret, and licensing issues. John is also knowledgeable about legal ethics and professional discipline.
John is a frequent speaker on intellectual property litigation issues at AIPLA meetings. He is also a committed advocate of diversity in the legal profession, and he serves on the firm's Diversity and Pro Bono committees.
John began his career as a litigator at Paul Weiss Rifkind Wharton & Garrison. He co-founded Parker Auspitz Neeseman & Delehanty, which became the New York office of Morrison & Foerster. Before co-founding the New York office of Mintz Levin, he was a litigation partner at O Sullivan Graev & Karabell.
•Quoted in 5 Tips for Making Patent Law Painless for Juries , Law360 (08.23.2013)
• Mintz Levin Attorney John M. Delehanty Appointed to Patent Mediation Task Force by International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution , (12.19.2011)
• Mintz Levin to Host CPR Institute Event for Young Attorneys on Successful Alternative Dispute Resolution Strategies for Life Science Companies , (10.19.2011)
• Twenty Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2011 New York Super Lawyers and Rising Stars , (09.23.2011)
• Eighteen Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2010 New York Super Lawyers , (09.29.2010)
• Ten Mintz Levin Attorneys Named New York Metro Super Lawyers , (09.24.2007)
Awards & Recognitions
•Distinguished Neutral, CPR International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution
•New York Super Lawyers: Intellectual Property Litigation, General Litigation (2006 - 2007, 2010 - 2011)
•Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
•Co-author, Client Brief: The Benefits of Mediation and/or Arbitration over Trial , (02.03.2011)
• Speaker, Arbitration & ADR: A Look at Pros & Cons, Consequences, & Examples, Best Practices in Licensing: Developing, Negotiating & Executing Transactions , Licensing Executives Society (LES), New York, NY (11.06.2013)
• Panelist, The International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution: Effective Practices Protocol for Patent Mediation, 28th Annual Intellectual Property Law Conference , American Bar Association, Arlington, VA (04.05.2013)
• Panelist, CPR Patent Mediation Task Force-Findings and Conclusions, 2013 Association of Corporate Patent Counsel Winter Meeting , ACPC, Orlando, FL (01.29.2013)
• Speaker, Confidentiality and Disclosure Issues for ADR Neutrals in Technology Disputes, ABA Section of Dispute Resolution Spring Conference , American Bar Association, Washington, DC (04.20.2012)
• Moderator, Successful ADR Strategies for Life Sciences Companies: What Young Lawyers Should Know , Mintz Levin and CPR Institute, Boston, MA (10.19.2011)
• Ethical Considerations Under Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 26 as Amended in December 2010, NYIPLA 27th Annual Joint Patent Practice Continuing Legal Education Seminar, (04.2011)
• Speaker, Do Attorneys Have an Ethical Obligation to Discuss ADR with Their Clients Under the Disciplinary/Ethical Rules and When Do They Have to Do It, 2010 Mid-Winter Institute , American Intellectual Property Law Association (01.29.2010)