John practices insurance regulatory and general corporate law. He represents clients from all sectors of the financial services industry and has represented clients with respect to administrative matters before state insurance departments. He advises property and casualty and life and health insurance companies with regard to regulatory and compliance matters, including formation, company licensing, holding company act requirements, affiliate transactions, restructurings, advertising producer agreements and compensation and, rate and forms filings. John represents insurance agents, brokers, surplus lines brokers, reinsurance intermediaries and third party administrators with respect to licensing and compliance issues. John represents insurers with respect to mergers and acquisitions. John also represents surplus lines insurers, captives and risk retention and risk purchasing groups on regulatory and compliance issues. John also advises financial institutions with regard to the sale of insurance and annuity products.
• John has advised clients in connection with the merger and acquisition of insurance companies and insurance agencies.
• John has counseled insurance companies on holding company act compliance including affiliate transactions, annual registration filings and payment of dividends.
• Insurance companies have turned to John in connection with securing insurance licenses and license amendments in all U.S. jurisdictions.
• John actively represents clients before state insurance departments in connection with market conduct examination issues and investigations.
• John has counseled insurance company clients with respect to redomestication name changes, and acquisition notice requirements.
• John has assisted clients in obtaining rate and form filing approvals for property and casualty and life and health products in all U.S. jurisdictions.
• John has advised agents and brokers on formation, licensing and compensation and disclosure issues.
• John has formed and obtained necessary approvals to transact business for surplus lines insurance company clients and provided advice on compliance with surplus lines placement requirements and restrictions.
• He has worked closely with insurance companies in the development of Privacy and Anti-Money Laundering compliance programs.
• John secured the necessary insurance regulatory approvals necessary for the merger of two bank holding companies, which included the acquisition of two insurance companies and an insurance agency.
• He has advised insurance companies, insurance agencies and financial institutions in the development and implementation of bank insurance sales programs and regarding lender-placed insurance.
• Additionally, John assisted in the formation of a joint venture between a financial institution and insurance agency for the sale of insurance products through the bank.
Before Edwards Wildman
While in law school, John was an Editor of the Annual Review of Banking Law at Boston University.
Eos Capital Partners Acquisition of Life Insurance Company
On behalf of the private equity group, Eos Capital Partners, our lawyers acted as co-counsel responsible for all insurance regulatory compliance and approvals in connection with the May 2011 acquisition of a controlling interest in New York-based First Rehabilitation Life Insurance Company of America.
Regulatory Counsel to Insurance/Financial Services Organization
Lawyers from our Insurance and Licensing practice areas have provided regulatory counsel to a global insurance and financial services organization on all new innovative product offerings.
NAIC: Edwards Wildman Roundtable with Richard Schlesinger, Chief of Reinsurance and Surplus Lines New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance Insurance & Reinsurance Blog
December 15, 2013 publication
Edwards Wildman Insurance and Reinsurance Review - June 2012
June 2012 publication
Revised NAIC Insurance Holding Company Model Act Gains Traction
June 2012 publication
AICP 2009 Annual Conference
October 4, 2009 - October 7, 2009 event
Insurance Law Practice, Second Edition
November 14, 2006 publication
Insurance and Reinsurance Update - June 2006
June 2006 publication
Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act Volume 3 : Insurance Agency Activities
AICP New England Chapter's 11th Annual Education Day
May 4, 2007 event
Edwards Wildman Represents AmTrust Financial Services in Acquisition of First Nonprofit Companies
January 23, 2013
EAPD Represents IAA in Announced Acquisition of AAHI
April 29, 2010
The Firm Represents Maiden Holdings in Acquisition of GMAC Re
November 3, 2008
Edwards Wildman client, AmTrust Financial Services, Inc. Announces Closing of Acquisition of Unitrin Business Insurance
June 4, 2008