John O'Toole is a partner at the Ottawa office of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP. John practises commercial litigation, with particular emphasis on banking litigation and bankruptcy and insolvency matters. He has a wide experience in all aspects of banking litigation and mortgage remedies, as well as commercial tenancy disputes, construction litigation (including construction liens), shareholder remedies and disputes. His client base encompasses financial institutions including chartered banks, major trust companies and insurance companies. He also represents major bankruptcy trustee firms, as well as a number of Ottawa area construction companies and commercial landlords.
· Major contract disputes for significant clients such as John Deere Canada.
· Major collection and enforcement work for financial institutions such as Royal Bank of Canada, Bank of Nova Scotia and John Deere Financial.
· Complex shareholder disputes involving privately held corporations.
· Independent counsel for court-appointed receivers and trustees in bankruptcy, for example, serving as counsel for the court-appointed monitor in the insolvency and restructuring of the Ottawa Senators Hockey Club.
Publications & Presentations
· Regular presenter on specialized litigation remedies in commercial fraud cases to various industry groups such as the Canadian Association of Certified Fraud Examiners.
· Regular presenter on banking litigation topics to financial institutions.
· Regular presenter on shareholder disputes and shareholder remedies to local business organizations.
Rankings & Recognitions
Recognized in the 2013 edition of The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (Insolvency & Financial Restructuring).
· Member, Law Society of Upper Canada (LSUC)
· Member, Canadian Bar Association, Litigation and Insolvency sections
· Member, County of Carleton Law Association (CCLA)
· Lecturer, LSUC and CCLA conferences on creditor, debtor and banking litigation topics
· Former Editor, Bar Admission course materials, Chapter 13: Unsecured Creditors' Rights and Remedies
· Volunteer, Law Help Ontario established by Pro Bono Law Ontario in the Ottawa Courthouse
· Coach, community minor hockey