John Squitero, an AV-rated attorney, is a founding member of Katz Barron. He heads the firm's litigation group, and is an accomplished litigator with more than 30 years' experience in a broad range of complex commercial litigation matters. John's practice actively involves all facets of major complex commercial litigation, including construction, securities, contract disputes and various types of business torts. His clients include general contractors, business and property owners, professionals, bankers, stockbrokers, corporate executives and others who need counsel from a seasoned litigator.
Representative experience includes:
• Lead trial counsel in case involving securities fraud, misrepresentation and civil theft against two national securities firms. Claims alleged $20,000,000. After 6 weeks of trial, case settled for approximately $10,000,000 on eve of closing argument.
• Lead trial counsel representing general contractor in claims in excess of $20,000,000 brought against it for construction of a mixed-use project. $0 damages against the general contractor. General contractor recovered money against the architect.
• Lead trial counsel in case involving breach of construction contract and fraud against client, a general contractor. Amount in controversy - $500,000 - $1,000,000. After a 5-day non-jury trial, $0 damages against general contractor.
• Lead trial counsel for nationwide educational facility, defending against claims regarding employment law, race discrimination and other employment issues. Claims alleged in excess of $5,000,000. Case dismissed. Plaintiff chose not to refile claim.
• Lead trial counsel for surety in construction defect cases involving claims brought by "owner", a municipality, for construction of two public facilities. Amount in controversy $6,000,000. Settled at mediation.
• Lead trial counsel for nationwide healthcare facility against general contractor and architect regarding design and construction defects in construction of nursing home. Claims exceeded $5,000,000. Settled at mediation.
• Lead trial counsel for private individuals regarding claims against brokerage house. Claims asserted exceeded $10,000,000. Settled at mediation.
• Lead trial counsel for surety in defense of claims brought by a municipality for construction defects. Case decided in favor of client. $0 damages.
• Lead trial counsel for condominium association alleging construction defects against owner-developer and general contractor. Claims in excess of $10,000,000. Case settled.
• Lead trial counsel for construction company defending claims against general contractor for construction defects, fraud and tortuous interference. Claims in excess of $10,000,000. Case settled for $100,000.
Professional Associations and Memberships
• The Florida Bar (Securities Committee), 1975 - 1977
• State Bar of Montana
• The Colorado Bar
• American Bar Association (Corporation, Banking and Business Law Section)
• The Association of Trial Lawyers of America
• The Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers
• The Construction Association of South Florida
• Member of the Board of Directors of the Viscayans
• Member of the Board of Directors of the Broward County Humane Society