Jack has over 30 years of experience in handling real estate and real estate related transactions for owner/developers, corporations, lending institutions, health care providers, non-profit institutions, and individuals. He has served as counsel in various capacities for an extensive cross-section of client projects including office and medical buildings and campuses, warehouses, condominiums and planned unit developments, marinas, hospital buildings, apartment buildings and warehouse/office-to-apartment conversions, affordable low income housing, residential subdivisions, industrial parks, live performance theaters, hotels and motor inns, and shopping centers. He has acted as counsel to local and national lenders in negotiating and documenting construction and permanent loans, and has negotiated leases of all types (shopping center, office industrial) for both landlords and tenants, including ground leases, build-to-suit and complex construction/work letter situations.
Jack's construction and development related experience includes lump sum, guaranteed maximum price, design build and construction management agreements; zoning and land use planning; and mechanics lien matters. The formation of business entities dealing with real estate, such as limited liability companies, joint ventures and limited partnerships, is also a specialty including requisite documentation and planning for Low Income Housing Tax Credit, Historic Tax Credit and New Markets Tax Credit transactions. He has also handled acquisitions, like-kind exchanges, sales and options for a wide variety of real estate including vacant land, conservation easements and flyways, properties affected by littoral and riparian rights, air rights and improved properties of all sorts.
Jack is a frequent lecturer and writer on real estate topics for the Ohio State and Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Associations and other legal education organizations. He is listed in Who's Who in American Law. He is a 1992 Leadership Cleveland graduate and has served on the boards of numerous community organizations.
• 2012 - 2015 - Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association's Annual Real Estate Law Institute. Panel member on the topic, Current Developments.
• July 12, 2013 - Ohio State Bar Association webinar. Panel presentation on the topic, Real Estate Law Summer Update.
• November 10-11, 2011 - Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association's 33rd Annual Real Estate Law Institute. Jack served as a panelist in a session dealing with the topic, Your Annual Malpractice Prevention Pill - Current Developments.
• October 28-29, 2010 - Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association's 32nd Annual Real Estate Law Institute. As a member of the Current Developments Panel, Jack gave a summary of significant case law decisions and legislation relating to real estate that have occurred in the past year.
• May 12, 2010 - The Ohio State Bar Association's Commercial Leasing Seminar, The Leasing Process: Work Letters, Tenant Reps, Letters of Intent.
• December 9, 2009 - Ohio State Bar Association's 17th Annual Real Property Institute: Real Estate In A Changing Economy. As a panel member, Jack gave an update on current developments in case law and legislation. Jack also gave a presentation about Real Property Specialty Certification in Ohio.
• October 29-30, 2009 - Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association's 31st Annual Real Estate Law Institute.
• May 21, 2009 - Crew Cleveland Seminar. Seller Financing: An Alternative to Conventional Bank Financing.
• May 14, 2009 - Ohio State Bar Association Annual Meeting. Federal and State Historic Tax Credits, New Markets Tax Credits.
• December, 2008 - Ohio State Bar Association, 16th Annual Real Estate Law Institute. Case Law and Legislative Update.
• November, 2008 - 30th Annual Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association Real Estate Law Institute. Case Law and Legislative Update.
• July 14, 2004 - 2004 Ohio Municipal Law Institute, Ohio Municipal Attorneys Association. Historic Tax Credits, Rehabilitation and Conservation Easements.
• 2004 - OSBA CLE Institute. Commercial Real Estate Law - Permanent Financing.
• 2003 - Ohio State Bar Association/Ohio CLE Institute. Commercial Real Estate Law - Permanent Financing.
• 2002-2007 - Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association Real Estate Law Institute. Current Developments.
• 2001 - Ohio State Bar Association/Ohio CLE Institute. Commercial Real Estate Law - Real Estate Financing: What the Numbers Really Mean.
• October 26, 2000. 22nd Annual Cleveland Bar Association Real Estate Law Institute. Reciprocal Easements and Operating Agreements.
• 2000 - Ohio State Bar Association/Ohio CLE Institute. Commercial Real Estate Real Estate Financing.
• November 11, 1999 - 21st Annual Cleveland Bar Association Real Estate Law Institute. Purchase Agreements - Income Producing Properties.
• 1997-1998 - Ohio CLE Institute. General Practice Update - Real Estate Law.
• 1997 - Ohio CLE Institute. Basics of Residential Real Estate.
• 1997 - National Business Institute, Current Issues in Commercial Real Estate Leases in Ohio (including Negotiating and Drafting Environmental Provisions in Commercial Real Estate Leases and Troubleshooting Selected Lease Issues )
• November 14, 1996 - 18th Annual Cleveland Bar Association Real Estate Law Institute. Residential and Commercial Eviction.
• 1996 - Ohio State Bar Association/Ohio CLE Institute. Commercial Real Estate Law - Commercial Real Estate Leases.
• November 3, 1995 - 17th Annual Cleveland Bar Association Real Estate Law Institute. Zoning and Land Use Issues.
• October 4, 1991 - 13th Annual Cleveland Bar Association Real Estate Law Institute. Insurance Coverage - A Case Study.
• October 5, 1990 - 12th Annual Cleveland Bar Association Real Estate Law Institute. Wetlands/Shore Control/Submerged Lands Leases/Docks.
• October 7, 1988 - 10th Annual Cleveland Bar Association Real Estate Law Institute. Insurance Provisions in Leases: Unraveling the Mysteries.
April 2015 - RNC-related contracts pose special legal challenges, Crain's Cleveland Business (Real Estate Guest Blog)
January 2015 - Looking Forward in 2015, Properties magazine
January 2014 - Progress in 2013 promises bright 2014 for commercial real estate in Cleveland, Properties magazine
January 2014 - IRS Issues Anticipated Safe Harbor Guidance on Historic Tax Credit-Related Transactions
March 2013 - What You Should Know Before Entering Into a Real Estate Transaction with a Public Entity, Properties
March 2013 - DEADLINE FAST APPROACHING: Board of Revision Complaints
August 27, 2012 - Crain's Cleveland Business: New markets credits have aided Cleveland
August 20, 2012 - Crain's Cleveland Business: Amid financing challenges, developers consider options
March 2012 - DEADLINE FAST APPROACHING: Board of Revision Complaints
May/June 2010 - Equity Injection: Tax credit programs boost funding for qualified properties, Commercial Investment Real Estate
January 4, 2010 - Crain's Cleveland Business; Real Estate
Spring 2009 - Development Magazine (NAIOP), Creativity to the Rescue?
January 5-11, 2009 - Crain's Cleveland Business; Creative Deals Finding Favor in Real Estate
November 2006 - Client Alert on Real Estate Law: Residential Rental Property Owners Take Note - Legislature makes it a crime if you don't register your property with the county auditor
March 2004 - Client Briefing on Real Estate Law: Managing Real Estate Taxes.
January 2003 - Builders Exchange--The Magazine Rehabilitating old buildings with the government's money
February 2002 - Client Briefing on Real Estate Law: SIGNING PAPERS: No Longer a Crowded Room - New Law Makes It Easier than Ever to Sign and Record a Document.
Awards & Recognitions
October 29, 2010 - At the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association's annual Real Estate Law Institute, Jack was honored with the Bob Rosewater Memorial Award, in recognition of his long-term service to the CMBA's Real Estate Law Section, his expertise in the practice of real estate law, and his commitment to community service in Greater Cleveland.
2007 - Current Ohio State Bar Association Board Certified Specialist in the area of Business, Commercial and Industrial Real Property Law
2014-2016 - Selected for inclusion in the 2014-2016 editions of The Best Lawyers in America . Listed in the current edition for Real Estate Law.
2016 - Named the Best Lawyers 2016 Real Estate Law Lawyer of the Year in Cleveland.
2007-2016 - Selected to Ohio Super Lawyers list. Areas of practice: Real Estate: Business; Business/Corporate; Closely Held Business.
AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Who's Who in American Law