Johnathan Bolton's practice centers on business law, commercial litigation and bankruptcy matters involving finance, real estate, insurance, foreclosures, loan workouts and insolvency. He is admitted to practice law in Hawaii, New York and Texas (inactive) and is admitted as a solicitor by the Supreme Court of England and Wales.
•Johnathan represents several large financial institutions in collection, foreclosure and bankruptcy matters in Hawaii.
•Johnathan has represented commercial and investment banks, lending institutions, hedge funds and other major creditors in chapter 11 cases across the country.
•Johnathan has represented several publicly-traded and privately-held companies in their chapter 11 reorganization cases. He has also worked on several successful out-of-court restructurings on behalf of both creditor and debtor clients.
•Johnathan has experience with cross-border insolvency matters, including chapter 15 bankruptcy cases filed in the U.S., and has counseled clients on matters involving proceedings pending in the United Kingdom, The Russian Federation, The Netherlands, Mexico, Canada, Spain, Peru, Argentina and Japan.
•Johnathan has represented purchasers and sellers of assets in connection with section 363 sales conducted in the bankruptcy courts in Hawaii, Delaware, California and Texas, including sales of assets through bankruptcy plans of reorganization.
•Johnathan has represented foreign and domestic clients in collection matters, including state court receiverships and foreclosure proceedings, as well as insolvency and bankruptcy-related litigation.
•Johnathan advises corporate directors and officers regarding corporate governance issues, including fiduciary duties, conflicts of interest and matters relating to the zone of insolvency.
During law school, Johnathan served as an Assistant Managing Editor of the Baylor Law Review and was a member of the Order of Barristers. Following graduation from law school, Johnathan practiced law with Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. (now Norton Rose Fulbright) in Houston, Texas for over a decade before joining Goodsill.
Johnathan is Board Certified in Business Bankruptcy Law by the American Board of Certification and holds a Certificate of Specialization in Business Bankruptcy Law from the Supreme Court of Hawai'i. The Supreme Court of Hawai'i grants Hawai'i certification only to lawyers in good standing who have successfully completed a specialty program accredited by the American Bar Association.
Johnathan has published articles in many leading bankruptcy, insolvency and creditors' rights publications, including the ABI Journal, the TMA Journal of Corporate Renewal, and INSOL World. He is a co-author of the 2013 Hawaii Bankruptcy and Collections Law Manual and the author of the Bankruptcy Appeals chapter in the Hawaii State Bar Association's 2013 Federal Appellate Practice Manual. He frequently writes and speaks on the topics of business bankruptcy and collections law.
Honors and Awards
•Listed in “Best Lawyers in America, Bankruptcy & Creditor-Debtor Rights Law” (2009 - 2015)
•Selected by “Hawaii SuperLawyers” (2013-2014) and Rising Star in Texas (2004 - 2006, 2008 - 2012)
•“Top Lawyers in Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights Law,” Corporate Counsel (2009 - 2011)
•“AV” Peer Review Rating - Martindale-Hubbell
Selected Recent Publications
•“Bankruptcy Appeals,” HSBA Federal Appellate Practice Manual (2013)
•Where Collection Law Meets Bankruptcy Law,” USLaw Magazine Spring/Summer 2013
•“Intellectual Property Considerations in Times of Financial Distress,” Hawaii Bar Journal (2013)
•“Navigating the Complex World of International Insolvency,” ExecSense (2012)
•“Claim Buyers Beware: Timing is Critical” ABI Journal (2012)
•“Supreme Court, Appellate Justices Weigh in on Trio of Notable Cases,” TMA Journal of Corporate Renewal (2011)
•Co-author, “Risks and Problems of Forum Selection in a Cross-Border Insolvency Case,” Norton Annual Review of International Insolvency (2011)
•Co-author, “Grupo Mexicano: Has Picard resurrected the Right to Pre-Judgment Attachments?” ABI Journal (2011)
•Co-author, “English High Court Recognizes, Enforces U.S. Court Judgments in Adversary Proceedings,” ABI Journal (2010)
•“Breach of Fiduciary Duty Claims,” Turnaround Management Association's Journal of Corporate Renewal (2009)
• 25 Goodsill Attorneys in The Best Lawyers in America 2015
• Goodsill Announces Three New Partners
• Bolton Nominated to Board of Directors of Hawai'i Bankruptcy Bar Association
• Attorney Johnathan C. Bolton Presents “12 Steps to a Successful Bankruptcy Appeal” at 2013 Bar Convention of the Hawaii State Bar Association
• Goodsill Business Team Provides Workshop for Start-Ups at Manoa Innovation Center
• Where Collection Law Meets Bankruptcy Law by Johnathan C. Bolton
• Johnathan C. Bolton Speaks to HSBA Real Property and Financial Services Section
• Goodsill's Start-Up Business Team Invited to Speak at UH's Entrepreneurs' Bootcamp
• Intellectual Property Considerations in Times of Financial Distress
• 2013 Hawaii Collection and Bankruptcy Law Manual
• Goodsill Recognized In the 2013 PBN Book of Lists
• Goodsill attorney Johnathan C. Bolton quoted in new ABA book: Representing Clients in Mediation
• “Navigating the Complex World of International Insolvency” by Johnathan C. Bolton available on Amazon.com
• Claim Buyers Beware: Timing Is Critical
• Goodsill Attorney named Virtual-Professional-in-Residence at the Shidler College of Business
• Goodsill Hires Bankruptcy Attorney