Jon is a Shareholder in Greenberg Traurig's Fort Lauderdale office and is a member of the firm's Litigation Practice Group.
As a commercial litigator, Jon has represented local, national and international clients in numerous jury and non-jury trials and arbitrations. Jon routinely litigates partnership and shareholder disputes, including business valuation disputes, business fraud, banking disputes, employment disputes, bankruptcy and technology matters, business torts, creditor rights and contract related issues.
Jon's broad range of experience includes representing national banks, manufacturers, factors, real estate developers, shopping mall owners, oil and gas companies, and others in a wide range of business disputes as both plaintiff's and defendant's counsel.
As a member of the United States Navy's Judge Advocate General's Corps, Jon served as Defense Counsel preparing and trying numerous felony jury and non-jury matters, including the Navy's first contested DNA trial. Jon was formerly a Lieutenant Commander in the United States Naval Reserve.
Areas of Concentration
· Shareholder/partnership disputes
· Commercial litigation
· Workout/ banking litigation
· Employment litigation
· Real estate litigation
· Business fraud litigation
· Creditor rights
· Contract litigation
· Business torts
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, Board of Directors, ARC Broward's "The Traveling Plate" - A Culinary Experience, June 2012-Present
· Chair, Greater Fort Lauderdale Alliance Ambassador Cabinet, 2011-Present
· Board of Trustees, Museum of Discovery and Science, 2011-Present
· Member, Greater Fort Lauderdale Alliance Board of Directors Nominating Committee, 2011-Present
· Member, Greater Fort Lauderdale Alliance BRAVO Action Team, 2011-Present
· Member, Greater Fort Lauderdale Alliance Business Development Committee, 2008-Present
· Founding Member, ARC Broward's "The Traveling Plate" - A Culinary Experience, 2011
· Member, Greater Fort Lauderdale Alliance Ambassador Cabinet, 2010-2011
· Member, The Florida Bar, Business Law Section
· Barrister, Stephen R. Booher American Inn of Court, 2010-Present
· Alumni, Leadership Broward Class XXX
· Member, Business Development Board of Palm Beach County
· Member, Campus of Jewish Learning Fundraising Committee, Temple Torah of Boynton Beach
· Alumni, Leadership Palm Beach County, Class of 2005
· Board Member, Make a Wish Foundation of South Florida, 2001-2004
· Founder/President, Alumni Association for Palm Beach and Broward Counties, Columbia University, 2003-Present
· Member, Admissions Interviewing Committee, Columbia University, 1994-Present
Awards & Recognition
· Finalist, "Leadership Palm Beach Excellence" award, 2006
· Awarded U.S. Navy Marine Corps Commendation Medal
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Litigated numerous shareholder and partnership disputes, representing both majority and minority shareholders in various matters.
· Recovered two works of art valued at over $25 million, which were hidden overseas, after owner was fraudulently induced to post art work as collateral.
· Obtained defense verdict on all counts for real estate developer consortium in multi-million dollar breach of contract/fraudulent transfer dispute.
· Obtained final judgment for national hotel chain in multi-million dollar patent infringement suit and award of attorneys' fees.
· Defended glass manufacturer against multi-million dollar construction defect claim for delaminated glass and obtained award of attorneys' fees.
· Litigated Automated Clearing House (ACH) fraud claims on behalf of bank against depositor.
· Prosecuted and defended numerous shareholder and partnership disputes.
· Obtained and recovered multi-million dollar judgment for defrauded investor in real estate investment scheme.
· Prosecuted numerous claims against borrowers and defended various counterclaims asserted against banks.
· Negotiated settlement of breach of contract, patent infringement and fraud claims allowing client (defendant) to share in proceeds of plaintiff's enterprise rather than paying plaintiff.
· Obtained multi-million dollar settlement for client where partner secretly attempted to establish competing business.
· Negotiated numerous workout agreements.
· Prosecuted numerous non-compete claims.
· Defended preference actions in various U.S. bankruptcy courts.
· Partner, Ruden McClosky Smith Schuster & Russell, P.A., (2003-2007)
· Associate, Ruden McClosky Smith Schuster & Russell, P.A., (2001-2003)
· Associate, Smith Hulsey & Busey, (1998-2001)
· Associate, Coll Davidson Carter Smith Salter & Barkett, P.A., (1997-1998)
· Defense Counsel, U.S. Navy, Judge Advocate General's Corps., (1994-1997)
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· "Military Members and the Bankruptcy Code: A Lesson in Patience", The Compleat Lawyer, Spring 1998 (reprinted Spring 2000)
· Featured Speaker, "Statutory Fair Value and the Florida Valuation Expert," presented by Morrison Valuations and Greenberg Traurig, Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants, 2013 Valuation, Forensic Accounting & Litigation Services Section Conference, January 2013
· Featured Speaker, "Statutory Fair Value?" presented by Morrison Valuations and Greenberg Traurig, Florida Bar Business Law Section Retreat, September 2012
· Panelist, "Managing the Complex Business Case in ADR: What Lawyers Want From Neutrals; What Neutrals Want from Lawyers," presented by JAMS, Florida Bar Business Law Section Retreat, September 2012
· Featured speaker, "Plan Your Exit From Business Ownership," presented by AB Bernstein, Bankers Advocate and Greenberg Traurig, May 2010
· Moderator and Program Chair, "Zapped! The New and Complex World of E-Discovery," American Bar Association Annual Meeting , August 2008
· Speaker, "Using Mediation as a Sword in Arbitration," The Network of Trial Law Firms Securities and Arbitration Litigation Seminar, August 2004