Jonathan Wilson is a senior shareholder of the Davis Brown Law Firm and is a member of the Business Division. His real estate practice encompasses all aspects of real estate, including sale, purchase, financing, taxation, tax appeals, tax exemptions, condemnations, land use planning/zoning, development, construction, and management.
Jonathan's practice involves both commercial and residential real estate and he has been involved in converting properties to condominium ownership and cooperative ownership, as well as a number of other, alternative ownership forms. For example, he was responsible for establishing the first "air rights" projects in the state of Iowa, involving the creation of an elevated horizontal plane within a single structure with separate ownership interests above and below that plane and easements for necessary support and access. He represents developers, owners, managers, and homeowner associations. He regularly drafts or reviews easements, covenants, development agreements, options, rights of first refusal, purchase agreements, and leases. He is occasionally involved in working with the legislature on a variety of subjects and was instrumental in drafting various Iowa statutes relating to residential and mobile home park landlord and tenant law.
In addition, Jonathan's practice encompasses a wide variety of general contract matters, including non-compete agreements, license agreements, employment agreements, independent contractor and subcontractor agreements, and surrogate parenting arrangements.
Besides his representation of private individuals and businesses, Jonathan also serves as general counsel to the Des Moines Area Metropolitan Planning Organization, a consortium of all of the central Iowa cities and counties that is charged with the responsibility of transportation planning in the area. He provides advice and counsel on all legal matters that arise in that endeavor, including the Iowa Open Meetings and Public Records laws, as well as guidance on matters of parliamentary procedure.
· AV® Preeminent™ rated by Martindale-Hubbell. An AV certification mark is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence.
· The Best Lawyers in America, Litigation - Real Estate and Real Estate Law
· Recognized by the Iowa State Bar Association for his many years of public and community service.
After graduating with distinction from the University of Iowa College of Law in 1971, Jonathan clerked for Judge Myron Bright on the federal Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals. He then taught at the Australian National University College of Law in Canberra Australia until joining the firm in 1974. He served briefly as an adjunct instructor at the Drake University College of Law teaching Modern Real Estate Transactions until the demands of his own real estate law practice required his full attention.
Jonathan also takes great pride in his responsiveness to clients and client needs. In his law practice he most enjoys opportunities for creativity in achieving worthy client objectives.
He has two grown children and owns a small farm in southeastern Iowa where he spends time away from the office engaged in more strenuous physical endeavors that he considers therapeutic. He is proud of maintaining a "bird tight" barn and enjoys giving tractor rides to his grandson and granddaughters.
Jonathan is active in the community. He has served as Chairperson of the Board of Directors of the Blank Park Zoo, and as President of the First Friday Breakfast Club, an association of gay men.
· American Bar Association
· Iowa State Bar Association
· Polk County Bar Association
· 33 Davis Brown attorneys named "Best Lawyers in America"
· Davis Brown Attorneys Attend DM/DC 2013
· 32 Davis Brown Attorneys Selected for The Best Lawyers in America® 2013
· Davis Brown Attorneys to Attend 33rd Annual Greater Des Moines Partnership DC Trip
· Jonathan Wilson Writes Des Moines Register Op-Ed
· Jonathan Wilson Writes Des Moines Register Op-Ed About Hidden Tax Increases
· Jonathan Wilson Writes Des Moines Register Op-Ed "When grandpa is gay..."
· The Davis Brown Law Firm Congratulates Jonathan Wilson for 35 Years of Service