- International Trade
- Government Relations
- Asia Practice
- Asia Practice - Maritime
|University ||U.S. Coast Guard Academy, B.S.|
|Law School||University of Miami School of Law, J.D., cum laude|
|Admitted||1981, Florida; 1990, District of Columbia; United States Court of International Trade|
|Born||Washington, D.C., February 11, 1949|
Jonathan Waldron is a member of our Maritime Emergency Response Team (MERT).
Jonathan Waldron concentrates his practice in maritime, international, and environmental law, including maritime security. Mr. Waldron counsels clients, both domestically and internationally, in areas such as:
· environmental maritime compliance and pollution response
· vessel/facility operations and legislative and regulatory affairs
· coastwise trade
· maritime security compliance
· citizenship and crewing issues, including outer continental shelf exemptions
· criminal defense
· LNG licensing
Mr. Waldron is ranked by Chambers USA as a leading shipping attorney. Chambers notes he is " 'a prominent expert in the coastguard area; extremely knowledgeable and one of the top attorneys around.' 'He's highly effective in a wide variety of issues,' note commentators." Chambers further states that Mr. Waldron is especially recommended for his work on Coast Guard issues and he "can bring a lot of different perspectives to bear."
Mr. Waldron is also recognized as a leader in shipping and maritime law by Who's Who Legal.
Mr. Waldron served in the U.S. Coast Guard for 20 years, attaining the rank of commander, and was senior counsel to the Marine Spill Response Corporation, where he provided on-scene legal advice at major spill events.
· Coastwise trade related advice including U.S. build/rebuild standards and exemptions/waivers.
· Applicants to obtain deepwater port and shoreside LNG facility licenses.
· Marine contractors and general regulatory and legislative representation to facilitate cargo transportation and U.S. outer continental shelf oil and gas related operations, including crewing issues and general regulatory and environmental advice to facilitate compliance with U.S. laws.
· Chemical company in general maritime/environmental regulatory and citizenship advice.
· General vessel and operational compliance advice.
· Fisheries industry compliance issues.
Community Service & Affiliations
Mr. Waldron is a visiting professor at the Massachusetts Maritime Academy where he teaches on legal issues related to pollution response and spill management teams. He is a member of the Maritime Law Association and frequently speaks and writes on maritime issues, including liability analyses to operate ships in U.S. waters.
Maritime Law Association of the United States
Documents by this lawyer on Martindale.com
Exports of Condensate Reflect Evolution, Not Revolution, In Crude Export Regulation
Jeanne M. Grasso,Margaret Anne Hill,Michael L. Krancer,Matthew J. Thomas,Jonathan K. Waldron, July 9, 2014
On June 24, 2014, various news sources reported that the Department of Commerce (“DOC”) had allowed two companies to export processed condensate, suggesting a breakthrough in the 40-year ban on crude oil exports. The reality might not match the dramatic headlines, however. It appears...
Department of Energy Proposal Upends Process for Authorizing LNG Exports
Stefanos N. Roulakis,Matthew J. Thomas,Jonathan K. Waldron, June 26, 2014
On June 4,.2014, the Department of Energy (“DOE”) issued a Notice of Proposed Procedures (“NPP”) for Liquefied Natural Gas Export Decisions outlining proposed changes to the way liquefied natural gas (“LNG”) export permits would be issued. In short, the DOE is...
Historic Water Resources Reform and Development Act Enacted into Law
Joan M. Bondareff,Stefanos Roulakis,Jonathan K. Waldron, June 26, 2014
On June 10, 2014, President Obama signed into law the Water Resources Reform and Development Act of 2014 (“WRRDA”) (Public Law No: 113-121). The primary purpose of the bill is to provide funding for improvements to rivers and harbors, dredge East Coast ports to 50 feet to accommodate...
|Profile Visibility |
|#1,223 in weekly profile views out of 48,590 lawyers in Washington, District of Columbia|
|#41,985 in weekly profile views out of 1,530,397 total lawyers Overall|