JONATHAN LANDESMAN is a Partner in the Labor & Employment Group of Cohen Seglias Pallas Greenhall & Furman PC. He practices in all areas of labor and employment law.
Jonathan's practice includes representing employers against claims of discrimination, unlawful harassment, retaliation, wrongful discharge, and wage and hour related issues, including class actions. He has represented employers before state and federal courts and administrative agencies, including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and U.S. Department of Labor. At the appellate level, Jonathan has personally argued cases before the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court, Pennsylvania Superior Court, and Delaware Supreme Court.
Jonathan regularly handles matters involving employee defections and trade secrets, including litigating injunction and damages actions involving non-competition and non-solicitation covenants, common law duties of loyalty and confidentiality, unfair competition, tortious interference, and state trade secrets statutes.
During the course of his career, Jonathan has devoted a significant amount of time to traditional labor law matters. At the bargaining table, he has served as lead negotiator and successfully negotiated collective bargaining agreements in a wide variety of industries, including manufacturing, construction, distribution, telecommunications, and food service. He has extensive experience in handling NLRB unfair labor practice cases, union organizing campaigns, strikes, mass picketing injunctions, and grievance and arbitration proceedings.
Jonathan regularly counsels clients on workplace issues such as implementing employee terminations, accommodating disabled employees in accordance with the FMLA and ADA, and ensuring wage and hour compliance. He prepares employee handbooks, drug and alcohol policies, employment and non-compete contracts, and severance agreements.
In addition to his Labor and Employment practice, Jonathan represents business owners, professionals, and executives in complex commercial litigation matters involving breach of contract, shareholder disputes, and unfair competition.
A frequent lecturer, Jonathan's writings have appeared in several national publications. He has presented seminars for a variety of national organizations, employer associations, the Philadelphia Bar Association, and clients of the Firm. He has also taught graduate and undergraduate level courses at Holy Family University as an adjunct faculty member, and has served as an instructor at Ursinus College. He has been quoted in the Philadelphia Inquirer, and his cases have been reported in publications such as the National Law Journal, Legal Intelligencer, and BNA's Daily Labor Report.
Jonathan's engagements include:
• Obtained summary judgment in a multi-plaintiff federal court case involving wage and hour and discriminatory retaliation claims;
• Successfully briefed and argued the granting of attorneys' fees in a non-competition case before the Pennsylvania Superior Court;
• Obtained a permanent injunction and compensatory damages in a non-competition case following a week-long trial in a Pennsylvania state court;
• Successfully negotiated a settlement providing our client in excess of $650,000 in an unfair competition action against two former vice presidents;
• Obtained an arbitration award for a publicly-traded telecommunications company denying a contract interpretation grievance alleging the improper transfer of bargaining unit work from a union facility to a non-union facility;
• Obtained summary judgment in federal court against a construction union involving a project labor agreement and work jurisdictional dispute;
• Obtained mass picketing injunctions against various Philadelphia-based construction unions and the Building Trades Council;
• Successfully negotiated a settlement providing a former shareholder in excess of $1,400,000 in a replevin action in federal court; and
• Obtained remedial orders in an unfair labor practice case against two Philadelphia-based construction unions for using inflatable rats and engaging in unlawful picketing.
News & Publications
• Pa. High Court Keeps Tort Immunity For General Contractors
Law360 - March 27, 2014
• Anticipating Retaliation Lawsuits from Your Employees
Construction in Brief: 2013 Volume 2
• Cohen Seglias Attorneys Named 2013 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
May 17, 2013
• Potential Liability of a General Contractor for a Subcontractor's Union Fund Obligations
Construction in Brief: 2013 Volume 1
• Valley firm to pay $1.3M in back wages to workers
The Morning Call - January 21, 2013
• Cohen Seglias Attorneys Named 2012 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
• Prevailing Wage Compliance: Tips Every Contractor Needs to Know
Construction In Brief: Winter 2012
• Prevailing Wage Blues
Building and Construction Northeast - Winter 2012
• Recent Developments in Employment Law
Construction In Brief: Summer 2011
• Cohen Seglias Attorneys Named Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
• Cohen Seglias Attorneys Named to Super Lawyers List in Pennsylvania
June 4, 2010
• Workplace Safety: Do You Know A Legal Trap When You See It?
December 1, 2004
• ABC Seminar: Dotting Your I's and Crossing Your T's: Employment and Workplace Best Practices
November 12, 2014 - East Norriton, PA
• ABC Seminar: My Employees Can't Sue Me for That - Can They?
October 2, 2014 - East Norriton, PA
• 6th Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar
April 30, 2014 - Philadelphia, PAMay 6, 2014 - Hershey, PA
• Bulletproof Employee Handbooks: Labor & Employment Breakfast Seminar
June 18, 2013 - Philadelphia, PA
• Obama's Impact on the NLRB
March 28, 2013 - East Norriton, PA
ABC - Eastern Pennsylvania Chapter
• 5th Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar
March 5, 2013 - Philadelphia, PAMarch 13, 2013 - Pittsburgh, PAMarch 20, 2013 - Harrisburg, PA
• 4th Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar
March 13, 2012 - Philadelphia, PAMarch 27, 2012 - Harrisburg, PAApril 11, 2012 - Pittsburgh, PA
• 3rd Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar
March 24, 2011 - Philadelphia, PA
March 30, 2011 - Pittsburgh, PA
• 2nd Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar
April 28, 2010 - Philadelphia, PA
• Cutting Edge Developments in Labor and Employment Law
April 30, 2009 - Philadelphia, PA
• First Annual Labor and Employment Law Seminar
March 25, 2009 - Philadelphia, PA
• Anatomy of an Employment Discrimination Suit
February 24, 2009 - East Norriton, PA
• Personnel Records: What to Keep, What to Toss
June 5, 2008
Awards & Recognition
• Jonathan has been named a 2013 and 2014 Super Lawyer for his work in Labor & Employment Law by Law & Politics Magazine. Law & Politics Magazine publishes Super Lawyers annually to recognize accomplished lawyers in more than 70 areas of practice.
• Jonathan has been named a Pennsylvania Rising Star, for Labor and Employment, by Law & Politics Magazine from 2010-2012.
• Jonathan has achieved an AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating for professional ethical standards and legal ability by Martindale-Hubbell.
• 5th Annual Labor & Employment Seminar
February 19, 2013
• 4th Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar
February 28, 2012
• 3rd Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar Recap
March 30, 2011
• Upcoming Event: 3rd Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar
February 15, 2011
• Philadelphia Bar Association - Member; Currently serves as the Chairman of the Committee on Human Resources and Employee Relations
(Also at New York, NY Office)