Jonathan Bernstein, a partner in the firm's Albany office, concentrates his practice in municipal liability, general litigation, appellate advocacy, and defending civil rights and employment discrimination suits. He has defended government agencies, elected officials, police officers, corrections officers, as well as numerous counties and local governments in civil rights suits in federal and state courts. He has handled appeals before New York's appellate courts, including the New York Court of Appeals and the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. He has also tried cases to verdict in state and federal court.
Before joining Goldberg Segalla, Jon served as a confidential clerk for the New York Court of Appeals from 2002 to 2004.
Jon is the editor of Goldberg Segalla's Government Liability, Civil Rights, and Labor and Employment newsletter.
· Selected for inclusion in Upstate New York Super Lawyers (Civil Rights)
· Defense Research Institute: Government Liability (Court Reporter Correspondent)
· Member, Town of Sand Lake Planning Board
· New York State Court of Appeals, Confidential Clerk, 2002-2004
· Co-Author, "Examining the 'Free' in Free Public Services Doctrine," For the Defense, Defense Research Institute, July 2013
· Author, "Citizens United Explored From A Different Perspective," The Whisper, Defense Research Institute, May 2010
· Co-Author, "Timeless Guideposts For Effective Corporate Governance," FDCC Quarterly, Spring 2009
· Author, "School Limiting Student Speech Held Constitutionally Permissible," The Whisper, Defense Research Institute, March 2009
· Presenter, "Perspectives When Preparing For The Automobile Claim: From Claim Stage Through Discovery And Trial," NYSBA Keeping Current With Automobile Litigation CLE Seminar, September 2008
· Author, "U.S. Supreme Court Upholds New York's System For Electing Judges," The Whisper, Defense Research Institute, April 2008
· Co-Author, "Municipal Strip Search Policy And The Law," For the Defense, Defense Research Institute, June 2007
· Author, "U.S. Supreme Court Limits Remedy Available For Knock-And-Announce Violation," The Whisper, Defense Research Institute, February 2007
· Co-Author, "New York Court Of Appeals Rejects The Product Line Exception To Successor Corporate Liability," New York State Bar Association, Torts, Insurance & Compensation Law Section Journal, Winter 2007
· Author, "Government Can Be Held Liable Under FTCA For Postal Employee's Negligence," The Whisper, Defense Research Institute, June 2006
· Co-Author, "A Practitioner's Guide To Use Of The PLRA In Federal Civil Rights Actions," For the Defense, Defense Research Institute, April 2006
· Author, "United States Supreme Court Issues Groundbreaking Decision On Government's Use of Eminent Domain," The Whisper, Defense Research Institute, October 2005