Jonathan P. Leleu focuses his practice on governmental law and policy matters, representing Nevada businesses before public bodies on issues including economic and urban development, tax, regulatory, land use and entitlements, licensing, and compliance matters. He is experienced in handling transactional and litigation matters, including land sale agreements, commercial loans, contract disputes, land use entitlement disputes, insurance coverage and bad faith disputes, and appellate matters.
Prior to joining the firm, Jon was In-House Counsel for International Market Centers, L.P., a furniture tradeshow company co-located in Las Vegas, Nevada and High Point, North Carolina. As In-House Counsel, Jon worked with state and local officials on a daily basis, crafting legislation and obtaining entitlements which enabled the company to reach its maximum revenue potential. Jon negotiated and amended the company's tax increment financing agreement, enforced CIAC agreements with Southern Nevada's public utilities, and coordinated the appeals of property tax assessments.
Jon is active in guiding the redevelopment of downtown Las Vegas and surrounding commercial districts, working with state and local government to promote economic development in Southern Nevada. In that capacity, Jon is regularly asked to speak publicly on topics such as the utilization of tax increment financing, public bonds, eminent domain, and other mechanisms necessary to spur and maintain municipal redevelopment efforts.
Professional & Community Involvement
· Executive Member, City of Las Vegas, Economic Development Steering Committee
· Executive Member, Downtown Las Vegas Alliance
· Member, American Bar Association
· Member, Association of Corporate Counsel
· Member, Clark County Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 4.8 out of 5
· Authored and lobbied the bicameral unanimous passage of NRS 118C, Nevada's first commercial leasing statute.°
· Litigated and negotiated the walk-away settlement of a $60 million claim arising out of a four-day power outage at a Las Vegas Strip resort.°
°The above representations were handled by Mr. Leleu prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP.
· In-House Counsel, International Market Centers, LP / World Market Center Las Vegas