- Antitrust Litigation & Civil Investigations
- M&A Clearance & Counseling
|Contact Info||Telephone: 202 862 2436|
Fax: 202 862 2400
|University ||State University of New York at Albany, B.A., cum laude, 1995|
|Law School||Washington University, J.D., 1998|
|Admitted||1999, New York; 2001, District of Columbia|
Jonathan Kanter is a leading antitrust lawyer representing major corporations in connection with high-profile mergers, joint ventures, and civil non-merger investigations before the U.S. Department of Justice, the Federal Trade Commission, and state antitrust authorities.
Jonathan is widely recognized as being among the nation's top antitrust lawyers.
• Chambers USA has distinguished him among the nation's foremost antitrust attorneys.
• Law360 honored Jonathan as one of the top five antitrust lawyers under the age of 40.
• The Legal 500 has recognized Jonathan for his strength in economic analysis and for "providing practical and high-quality advice" to clients.
• The Washingtonian ranks Jonathan as one of the "best lawyers" Washington, DC.
Jonathan's experience involves transactions in a wide variety of industries, including:
• technology and internet;
• consumer products;
• retail and supermarkets;
• food, beverage, and spirits;
• newspapers and media;
• oil, gas, energy, and chemicals;
• manufacturing and industrials; and
• pharmaceuticals and healthcare.
Notable representations include Microsoft Corporation in connection with numerous acquisitions and in the settlement of its landmark U.S. v. Microsoft and N.Y. v. Microsoft antitrust cases. Other notable matters include representing Bacardi in its victory in Johnson Brothers Liquor Company v. Bacardi U.S.A. and in a joint venture with Brown Forman. Jonathan has also represented Village Voice Media in its merger with New Times Media, MGM Mirage in connection with its multi-billion dollar acquisition of Mandalay Resort Group, and many other companies in dozens of high-profile strategic transactions.
Law360 recognizes Jonathan as one of the nation's "go to" lawyers for antitrust and the internet. He is a frequent speaker and author on the subject and represents numerous companies in the area, including Microsoft in its acquisition of Nokia, Skype and Yahoo!'s search business and as a third party in DOJ's review of Google/ITA, Google's proposed Book Search settlement proposal, and Google's proposed partnership with Yahoo!. Jonathan is a leading advisor in the area of ad technology representing major companies in this space. Jonathan also represents technology companies in connection with issues at the intersection of antitrust and intellectual property.
Prior to joining Cadwalader, Jonathan worked at the U.S. Federal Trade Commission's Bureau of Competition, where he was a member of the teams that reviewed Time Warner's merger with AOL, Exxon's acquisition of Mobil, BP-Amoco's acquisition of Arco, and Kroger's acquisition of Fred Meyer, among others.
Following his service at the Federal Trade Commission, Jonathan was a member of the Antitrust Department of another leading international law firm prior to joining Cadwalader.
Notable representations include
• Microsoft Corporation in connection with numerous acquisitions and in the settlement of its landmark U.S. v. Microsoft and N.Y. v. Microsoft antitrust cases.
• Bacardi in its recent victory in Johnson Brothers Liquor Company v. Bacardi U.S.A. in a joint venture with Brown Forman.
• Village Voice Media in its merger with New Times Media and MGM Mirage in connection with its multi-billion dollar acquisition of Mandalay Resort Group.
• Various energy companies in non-public matters currently pending before the FTC.
Documents by this lawyer on Martindale.com
Takeaways from Government Victories in Recent Antitrust Merger Trials
Andrew J. Forman,Daniel Howley,Jonathan S. Kanter,Charles F. Rule,Eric Sega, February 10, 2014
Recent government victories in the antitrust challenges to the consummated mergers of Bazaarvoice/PowerReviews and St. Luke’s/Saltzer are the latest in a string of trial successes by the Department of Justice (“DOJ”) and the Federal Trade Commission (“FTC”),...
|Profile Visibility |
|#4,334 in weekly profile views out of 48,590 lawyers in Washington, District of Columbia|
|#131,925 in weekly profile views out of 1,530,397 total lawyers Overall|