Practice/Industry Group Overview
At Jones Day, our lawyers combine legal and technical skills with practical business insight to help our pharmaceutical, medical device and biotechnology clients overcome their greatest legal challenges so they can focus on developing innovative solutions to some of life’s most difficult problems.
With one of the most resourceful practices throughout the globe, our life sciences lawyers work seamlessly across multiple disciplines including antitrust, business and tort litigation, health care, labor & employment, intellectual property, M&A and tax, to solve the regulatory, transactional and litigation issues that life sciences companies encounter.
Our life sciences clients include public and private companies in all stages of development, such as multinational pharmaceutical companies, fully integrated biopharmaceutical companies, diagnostic and medical device companies, consumer products companies, nutraceutical companies, academic medical centers, research institutions and universities. We also work with venture and private equity funds and investment banking institutions active in the life sciences arena.
Lawyers at Jones Day work in groups to provide the full range of legal services required by life sciences clients in the relevant industry, including:
- FDA regulatory counseling
- Hatch-Waxman patent litigation
- Intellectual property litigation, including patent interferences and oppositions
- Intellectual property opinions, including validity, infringement, and peer review opinions
- Patent and trademark portfolio strategy, creation, and management
- Products liability
- Public and private financings
- Securities litigation and criminal investigations
- Technology-driven agreements, including in-depth knowledge of cross-border licensing, collaborations, R&D partnerships, and consulting
Our approach has assisted clients in achieving outstanding results, including the following:
- Represented Abbott Laboratories in its $722 million acquisition of Facet Biotech Corporation
- Advised AstraZeneca on IP strategies for China; provided advice on patenting strategies, protection of trade secrets, and non-compete agreements
- Represented BioMarin Pharmaceutical, Inc. in the acquisition of LEAD Therapeutics, Inc. for up to $97 million, including potential milestone payments
- Advised BioSphere Medical, Inc. on issues surrounding their entire patent portfolio for its commercial products and its inter partes opposition proceedings in conjunction with the company’s $100 million acquisition by Merit Medical Systems
- Represented Celgene in its acquisition of Glouchester Pharmaceuticals for up to $640 million, including potential milestone payments
- Represented Idenix Pharmaceuticals in challenging a patent term adjustment determined by the USPTO after issuance of a patent matter directed to a clinical drug candidate for the treatment of HIV resulting in a favorable decision for our client
- Represented King Pharmaceuticals in a preliminary injunction against Core Pharma halting sales of a generic version of Skelaxin®