Throughout his career, Joe has represented employers in all areas involving employer/employee relations, with a heavy emphasis on issues impacting clients that process, package, distribute and serve food. Joe has extensive experience in class action claims against employers and concentrates his practice on wage and hour collective/class actions under state and federal law. In the food and agribusiness industry, his experience includes defense against:
· Wage and hour class and collective actions, single-plaintiff employment claims, labor arbitrations, employer counseling, and human resources training for industry leader ConAgra Foods.
· A $1 million breach of contract and wrongful discharge lawsuit challenging one of the world's largest corrugated box and packaging companies.
· Noncompetition litigation, Department of Labor wage and hour audits, employer counseling, employee handbooks, and all other employment-related issues for food and agribusiness clients.
Joe counsels clients on the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act (WARN) and discrimination laws. His strategic insights guide employers in Department of Labor actions, such as audits involving tipped food-service employees and laborers in the grain milling industry.
In traditional labor cases, Joe regularly advises employers in grievance arbitrations and actions before the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), most of which have come in the food-processing industry. He represents clients in noncompetition and nonsolicitation matters and related injunction litigation and has obtained favorable decisions before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and other federal and state administrative agencies nationwide.
Awards & Recognitions
· Lexology Client Choice Awards, Missouri, Employment & Labor, 2013
· Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, Employment & Labor, Rising Star, 2009
· Missouri Lawyers Weekly, "Up & Coming Lawyer," 2013
· St. Louis Business Journal, "30 Under 30," 2006
Professional Associations & Memberships
· The Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
· Illinois State Bar Association
· The Missouri Bar
· Craft Alliance, Board of Directors, 2005-2011
· Intercommunity Housing Association, Board of Directors, 2006-2011
· National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Corporate Achiever Honoree, 2006
· Represented ConAgra Foods, Inc. in labor and management relations for the company's six major divisions: grain milling, snacks, frozen foods, shelf-stable goods, spices and potato products.
· Represented a major home healthcare agency in defeating a motion for conditional certification of a nationwide class of plaintiffs seeking overtime wages in a Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) collective action.
· Defended injunction litigation filed by the world's largest information management services company seeking more than $1 million in damages for alleged unfair competition and tortious interference in New York federal court.
· Obtained summary judgment for a global corrugated box and packaging companies against claims of breach of contract and wrongful discharge. Plaintiff sought more than $1 million in individual damages.
News & Publications
3.1.13, Lexology's 2013 Client Choice Guide Names Husch Blackwell Exclusive General Corporate Winner in Missouri
1.5.10, Husch Blackwell Sanders Names 16 Attorneys as Partners
10.22.09, Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers 2009 Names 73 Husch Blackwell Sanders Attorneys
4.1.12, The ADAAA and the Costanza Effect: A Roadmap for In-House Counsel and Their HR and Operations Clients, ACC Docket
6.23.10, Supreme Court Cautions on Scope of Employee Privacy Interests in Electronic Communications
3.16.10, Pay Equity Cases-the Next Wave of Major Litigation
3.19.09, DOL Releases Opinions on Reducing Hours for Salaried Employees
1.1.04, The Developing Labor Law, BNA