- Intellectual Property
- Patent Prosecution
- Trademark Prosecution
- Trademark Registration
- Copyright Licensing
- Copyright Infringement
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Patent Infringement
|Contact Info||Telephone: 215 979 1842|
Fax: 215 689 3797
|University ||Villanova University, B.S.E.E., summa cum laude, 1996|
|Law School||Villanova University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1999|
|Admitted||1999, Pennsylvania and New Jersey; U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania; U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey; Supreme Court of Pennsylvania; Supreme Court of New Jersey; U.S. Patent and Trademark Office|
|Memberships ||American Bar Association; Pennsylvania Bar Association; Philadelphia Bar Association; American Intellectual Property Law Association; Philadelphia Intellectual Property Law Association. |
|Born||Washington, D.C., September 28, 1974|
Joseph A. Powers concentrates his practice on intellectual property matters, with particular emphasis on patent prosecution, licensing and litigation matters, counseling on patent validity and infringement issues, copyright licensing and infringement matters and trademark prosecution matters, including counseling on the right to use and ability to register trademarks.
Mr. Powers has prosecuted and secured patents in diverse areas of technology across the electrical, mechanical and software arts and he counsels clients in all areas of patent analysis, defense and enforcement. His experience extends to all aspects of patent infringement litigation, both as plaintiff and defense counsel and at the trial and appellate courts.
Registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office and admitted in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, Mr. Powers is a 1999 magna cum laude graduate of Villanova University School of Law, where he was a member of the Law Review and elected to the Order of the Coif, and a summa cum laude graduate of Villanova University, where he received a bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering.
· Defense counsel for international biometric scanner manufacturer in patent infringement matter. Obtained decisive Markman ruling on patent claim scope, leading to dismissal of action with prejudice.
· Plaintiff counsel in patent litigation relating to wireless mesh communications. Won significant Markman decision affirming broad application of asserted claims.
· Defense counsel in patent litigation relating to parimutuel wagering systems. Settled case on terms client found favorable after securing Markman decision limiting claim scope of multiple asserted patents.
· Counsel to a foreign corporation in defense of a patent-infringement suit before the International Trade Commission relating to controls for injection blow molding machines.
· Counsel to power IC design and manufacturing company as startup through purchase by a Fortune 200 company. Guided company in building a patent portfolio from scratch into an industry-leading position.
· Counsel to leading international semiconductor foundry in obtaining and enforcing both foreign and domestic patents and trademarks.
· Counsel to an international building component manufacturer in obtaining and enforcing both U.S. and foreign patents.
· Counsel to a leading international telecommunications company in obtaining both U.S. and foreign patents on devices and methods in the areas of telecommunications, semiconductor fabrication, circuit design, and mechanical arts.
· IP counsel to a globally recognized world leader in the automatic data capture market.
· Counsel to a leading international company in the gaming industry including due diligence on patent properties in corporate acquisitions, patent prosecution, licensing and counseling on product defense, enforcement and validity.
· Counsel to local university in patent preparation matters.
· Counsel to a leading traffic information service company in the field of trademark procurement.
· Counsel to a vascular access device manufacturer in the procurement of U.S. and foreign patent rights.
· Counsel to several individuals, startup companies, and small businesses in various fields, such as pet toys, medical devices, automated assembly devices, biometric sensors and computer software.
· Counsel to a molded container designer and manufacturer in obtaining U.S. patents on container devices and methods of manufacturing container devices.
· Counsel to a polymeric heating element designer and manufacturer in obtaining U.S. patents on polymeric heating element devices and methods of manufacturing polymeric heating element devices.
· Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 2008-present
- Associate, 1999-2007
· American Bar Association
· Pennsylvania Bar Association
· Philadelphia Bar Association
· American Intellectual Property Law Association
· Philadelphia Intellectual Property Law Association
Honors and Awards
· Recipient of the 2011 John J. Gallen Memorial Award from Villanova University, which "recognizes the achievement of those whose technical effort yields advances in the engineering profession."
· Listed in Pennsylvania Rising Stars, 2013
|Profile Visibility |
|#1,254 in weekly profile views out of 16,252 lawyers in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania|
|#111,830 in weekly profile views out of 1,616,736 total lawyers Overall|